Quad Panel System Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Quad Panel System Build

So, I'm planning a build for a new computer for remote troubleshooting, with all the storage and performance I'll want/need for anything else I'll do with the computer. The first panel, will be dedicated to virtual machines, which will all be housed on one of the 4 2tb hard drives I'm planning to install in my machine; the second panel will be used for displaying remotely accessed systems; the third panel will be the primary, where my task bar is displayed, where I research information, email, etc; the fourth panel will be used exclusively for a knowledge base I've been working on building for the last six months.

So, the things I need some input on -

Processor - Quad Core? i7? Why?

Memory - I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate; and I need to deck this thing with memory to support running my own OS, the remote display, and multiple virtual machines; so whatever the maximum amount of memory I can pump into this thing that the OS will recognize, is what I want; 7 Ult claims 192gb, but I have never seen it.

Video - I know I'll need 2 video cards for the monitor setup, but I don't know what type fo cards I want to use...

Motherboard - I need something that will support this build the best (4 HDD, 2 Video Cards, and a boatload of memory. As far as removable drives go, I'd like to install two CD/DVD RW drives, but if I can't do both, I'd go with a single one.

Case/Power Supply - What kind of case do I need for a build like this, and what power supply would run it at optimum levels?

Cooling System - I have no clue when it comes to advanced cooling systems, so if you know of a great one, please let me know

So a lot of holes I need to fill on this. Cost isn't a major issue, as long as things aren't ridiculous; I am planning on this thing setting me back a decent amount of money; the primary issue is making sure this machine runs smoothly, and does everything that I need it to.
Closed Thread