Quad-Fire or SLi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be better to run 4 Radeon 3870s on a Phenom processor or run 2 nVidia 8800 Ultras on a dual core?
I don't think there are official drivers for quadfire yet, however once they come out (which I think should be soon), I would expect quadfire to outperform dual SLI.
Firstly, there's four cards instead of two And secondly, crossfire scales better than SLI does.
Though I'm not exactly sure how four cards will scale compared to two.

On top of that, two 3870's will use less power than one 8800 Ultra. So four 3870's will use less power than two 8800 Ultra's.

A single 3870 will be beaten by an 8800 GT, GTX and Ultra on average. But I think crossfire will make these cards great.

i dont see how u can use 4 HD 3870s when it's dual-sloted. For quadfire, u will need to use 4 HD 3850s because of it being single slot.

im planning on getting the HD 3870 x2 n probably second one later depending on how it compares to the R700.

i dont see how u can use 4 HD 3870s when it's dual-sloted. For quadfire, u will need to use 4 HD 3850s because of it being single slot.

im planning on getting the HD 3870 x2 n probably second one later depending on how it compares to the R700.

you can do it.. you just won't have any other available pci slots

As if anyone can afford this lol

sure people can

about a year and a half ago

my buddy dropped 7k into his alienware computer.. that ******bag... called him an idiot for that.. he's still sitting on his 2 7800gtx's.. which i told him to sell!!!!! long ago, so he can buy an 8800gts or gtx cuz they' cream em both anyway!!!

anyway.. ya.. his computer was top notch then

amd fx57 - alienware watercooled!!!
2gb ddr400
2 512mb 7800gtx's!!

pretty much he just checked to buy the most expensive crap for everything!! and boy did he make a terrible mistake!!! seeing as the 7900's came out shortly after!!! hahaha suckced for him.... as well as dual core price drops.. he chose the worst possible time to buy

the MSI K9A2 Platinum can run four dual slot cards in crossfire
k9a2.jpg

if you look again at the first pic on the first page.. they are not 3850 theyre the 3870 fatboys :D

As if anyone can afford this lol

its costs less then sli ultra's by a looong way.

too bad u can't run any PCI cards after u put 4 hd3870's in there..

it better have X-Fi intregrated sound or id be one mad bunny. But maybe as Crossfire scales better you could put a 3850 in one slot and have room for top spec soundcard. :D

i don't plan on Quad-Crossfiring.. and I know about CF scaling better than SLi.... in fact I'm the one who keeps repeating it all around the forum.. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom