Quad Core or Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you. much appreciated. I want to thank god for my well hung ness. The ladies for enjoying it so and the guys for feeding me jealousy.

no just kidding, i didnt give it much thought, i just put whatever i was thinking about and my well hung ness was on my mind.

back to computers.

When you say you BUY a computer every 3 to 6 years...do you mean completely buy a different setup or upgrading?

You could get a conroe right now and get a kentsfield later without changing anything except the cpu (of course).

edit: i really need to work on my speed reading....didn't notice you said "buy a cpu every 3-6 years." Once the prices go down on them, you probably would start thinking about it. But a dual core is the way to go right now unless your encoding ALOT (a c2d is plenty even for the modest encoders).

I usually change most things, Video Card Processor, MOBO, Sound Card. Tower.

Usually when I make a purchase, a revolution has happend. THe revolution now is the Dual and Quad Cores. So here is my new Purchase.

This time however, i'm going big cuz I'm changing my CRT for an LCD and new speakers and Printer and everything. Basically everything is going to be new. and I want to see a chnage. I dont want this Core Dual to end up being as slow as my last P4 Was.

I bought a quick P4 about 2 years ago.

Encoding? no. wont be doing much of it. Your right, I can change the Processor in a few years, as long as they dont change the Socket. So i think i'll stick to the E6600 cuz the QX6700 will rip me a new A-hole.

Kokz

Look! 8 to 9!?!?! No one is Sure.. the Quad or The DUal. The fight continues!! if you think QUAD POST UP WHY!!! Please.

dual core now...
by the time you need a quad core or it is really practical, they will have dropped tremendously in price...thereby saving your a-hole from being ripped.

The kentsfield are compatible with conroe mobos. Thats why i said you could change the cpu without getting a new mobo.

So save the money for a big lcd and good speakers and get the e6600, then get a kentsfield later when quad cores are utilized better and aren't so FREAK'N expensive.

I'm not sure how old this post is... but I figured I would ask a question while your on dual cores.
I recently got a laptop with a pentium M 2.13ghz.. When I first looked into the basic system info it said 2.13ghz/2.13ghz... after installing a few basic programs (Battlefield 2 and WoW) I go to look at it again... now it is saying 2.13ghz/797mhz... what have I done wrong? (also: its says core duo but can't set affinity... is the Intel Pentium M a true dual core?)

Vincentnsoa said:
I recently got a laptop with a pentium M 2.13ghz.. When I first looked into the basic system info it said 2.13ghz/2.13ghz... after installing a few basic programs (Battlefield 2 and WoW) I go to look at it again... now it is saying 2.13ghz/797mhz... what have I done wrong? (also: its says core duo but can't set affinity... is the Intel Pentium M a true dual core?)

It seems you have a Pentium M 770. As far as I know, that CPU is single-core. Where exactly does the "2.13ghz/2.13ghz" appear? System Properties (right-clicking "My Computer" and then selecting "Properties")?

Yes, thats how I found the 2.13ghz... but as I'm looking on my desktop here, it has the same double ghz display as my laptop. You may be right about the single core =(... if you find out for sure please let me know.

After restarting a couple times it went back to 2.13/2.13, so i'm not sure what the deal is with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom