Is quad core definitely better now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Just been checking out some quad core v dual core benchmarks back in Q2 of 2008, and it seems the majority of the time faster dual cores came ahead of quad cores in performance, is this still true now ? i'll be replacing my E6850 with a Q9550 that'll me here within a day or too, but from what i'm seeing now, it looks like sticking with the faster clock speed of the E6850 may of been a better idea.

One of the main things im wondering is, i have alot of stuff open in vista - usually several WinRAR transfers, 10 or so FireFox's, daemon tools, MSN, Steam, xFire, Photoshop all open at once. Occasionally especially just after loading the desktop my dual core really struggles, which is why i bought my quad core. I guess what im asking is will my new pcessor definitely benefit me in this aspect ? i spend alot of time extracting/compressing/decompressing and rendering stuff, aswell as generally doing very heavy multi tasking. Games don't worry so much, i would expect nearly all games releasing from now on to be quad core compatible.

I just hope i see a significant improvement, or i'll be oh so annoyed :(

More cores was meant to do more multi-tasking. And from what you're describing, you will really benefit from it. Enjoy you new quad!

I remember seeing the difference when I went from an E6400 to a Q6600.

And if it's not better now, it definitely will be in the near future. So it will last you longer than a dual core.

Thanks, gave me some more confidence in my purchase :laughing: :)

I realise more cores is better for multi tasking, it's just whether the support for quad cores is around now, i know it wasn't when i bought me E6850, because i had the exact same argument with myself then 'Q6600 quad or E6850 dual..', and at that point in time they had no real benefits over dual. I just hope now there is...

Thanks, gave me some more confidence in my purchase :laughing: :)

I realise more cores is better for multi tasking, it's just whether the support for quad cores is around now, i know it wasn't when i bought me E6850, because i had the exact same argument with myself then 'Q6600 quad or E6850 dual..', and at that point in time they had no real benefits over dual. I just hope now there is...

Back then it wasn't worth considering... now it just is!!

Sorry I didn't get to your thread earlier, but the q9550 is a good choice

You should do a suicide run with that e6850 before throwing it away!

You should do a suicide run with that e6850 before throwing it away!
or he could toss it your or my way lol :D

Yeah you will see a definite improvement in application use. As well, every new game that is being release from now on will support multi threading, and will probably be optimized. So that will be a nice increase in performance. Although i think purchasing that right now, you might come to regret in a few months...as core i7 is in full bloom already. Things will prob end up getting a bit cheaper too...i was gonna upgrade to a q9550 as well but im now waiting.

Nah, it's rare i come about the money just to get this processor, but to get a Core i7, mobo, and ddr3 ram ? Thats dreaming my friend :D

I'd have to get a job on my 16th birthday, save my birthday money and work for a few months to upgrade to an i7 - maybe i will, maybe.

Aha wow my system sucks so much at overclocking :laughing: i dont think it helps that ive got 2 different cheep brands of 667mhz ram.. nor do i know what to do except the basics. What i do know is i get BSOD after 10mins on Age of Empires 3 when ive overclocked by 200mhz :eek: (even if i up the core voltage) wow. just wow. it's shamefull.

Ima have to get me some good DDR2 and better air cooling some time down the line.

Luke:

I just hit up ebuyer, a Core i7, mobo, and tri channel DDR3 would set me back £600. What a joke, especially in this economic climate :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom