q9450/q6600/e8400

Status
Not open for further replies.

melioz

Baseband Member
For someone who only games, but want to last a few years with one of the three cpu's witch is the logical choice in your opinion? Read many reviews, but under most of your sigs i see the q6600. What makes you choose that over the q9450? Is it the $150 more dollar price tag?

Already had to make a few other hard choices, one was the ram. ATM ddr3 1333 is slower than its cheaper dd2 10xx low latency chips, but seeing as i want a board i can later add too and a budget when it comes to ram, i got a 790i Mobo witch only supports ddr3 1333-2000. when i get more money i can put ddr3 1600's in there.

After all this i concluded that for a fast system you would build this a rig with e8400 at 4ghz, and some fast low latency dd2 instead of a slightly slower q9450 with ddr3 1333. But the deciding factor was quads will be used more in a few years and ddr3 board will be faster when i can afford the 1600. I tell yah when spending almost 3 grand on a system these decisions are very hard to make.

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM No HSF - EU80569PJ067N In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - BX80562Q6600 In Canada.

Gaming. E8400 Wins as it is newer 45nm Tech and faster.

If you do more than Game such as Image Editing and Multi-task, then the Quads win.

If you want something that lasts, the Core Duo is out of the picture because there are already new programs and games using the quad core technology now, and a core duo would need to be replaced with a quad or octa in the near future.

The Q9450 is nice, but Is a little expensive for what it offers. Since I am in the states, I went to Micro Center and got the Q6600 g0 SLACR for $199. It will do me good until Octa-cores.

Save yourself some money and get a 780i, good ddr2 and a 9450. dd3 doesnt have enough performance impact even at 1600 to make it worth the price. Once nehelem comes out and uses onboard memory controllers thats when you'll want to switch to ddr3.

As to why most of us have the q6600, its because the 9450 only became available last week :)

I am so close to clicking the order now button on my system, Seeing as there coming out with the programs that use quads, and the e8400's only gain you small amount of fps, ial go with the q9450. And ty for the cheaper link dude much appreciated.

I know the basics about specs in comps, but one thing i pulled up on a forum was that your processor effects your Oc on ram? If i got the wrong idea please to correct me, but they were saying something along the lines of the multiplier on the q9450 is 8 or something witch somehow effects the over clocking of the 1333 ram? Not sure, i might have this completely wrong because in order to get my 1333 ram to beat the top end ddr2 i need to clock it up to 1600 witch has been tested to run stable.

The only time memory affects your cpu overclock is if you have the 2 linked. There really isnt that much point in running linked. But with ddr2 you could still easily run at 3.2ghz with an 8x400 FSB and memory running at 800mhz. Its just as easy to overclock the cpu independant of the memory.

Don't heckle me on my lack of knowledge about my own country,but does your tat mean B.c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom