Q6700 or E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
Ok i am building a rig to game on and do all my other things. I already have the board, it is a Nvidia 680i sli. I am most likely (suggest something else if you want) going with a single 8800GTX for now.

I am ordering a processor tomorrow or Wednesday and i am not able to decide which one. The price is so close that it doesn't matter at all to me, i just want to know which one is the better quality for gaming.

Here is the first a Q6700 with no fan for $260
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor HH80562PH0678MK - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Here is the second. a E8400 with fan
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

All i have for the build so far is the mobo and case, i have around 300 to spend this week. If there is a special on right now on hdds or Ram or something i would order that instead,. So if you know of a deal available to Canadians let me know.

well, to start... most games dont fully utilize all four cores, so you wont notice a HUGE difference there... more in multitasking/running many applications simultaneously... that kinda stuff... so keep that in mind...
youre gonna get alot of people telling you to go Q6600, but... its your choice if the x9 vs x10 multiplier and faster stock speed is worth it to you for the extra couple bucks... i have a Q6700 and love it tho, so... just something else to think about... haha

but anywho, another thing i would suggest is to go with a 9800GTX... theyre about the same price or cheaper (depending on sales/where you buy it) and theyre better for the price...

good luck with your build tho :) - RK

I was kind of thinking about getting a 9800gtx but wasn't sure if the 8800gtx would max out my board as is. I am kind of a noob to this stuff.

I don't understand the x9 x10. Is that referring to like DX9 and DX10 ? The q6600 is $40 cheaper than the 6700 so i just thought it was not as good. i Know i want to go DX10 and Vista if than helps .

so basically for a gamer, you want the e8400 to overclock it to 4ghz+. Judging from the 8800GTX, you probably game a lot.

The q6700 has a x10 multipler that theriotically will oc better than the q6600 with a multiplier of x9.

If you got no clue on what overclock is or how to do it, best you go with a faster dual-core than slower quad cores.

I was kind of thinking about getting a 9800gtx but wasn't sure if the 8800gtx would max out my board as is. I am kind of a noob to this stuff.

I don't understand the x9 x10. Is that referring to like DX9 and DX10 ? The q6600 is $40 cheaper than the 6700 so i just thought it was not as good. i Know i want to go DX10 and Vista if than helps .

eh... not sure what you mean by 'max out your board', but... a 9800GTX is prolly the way to go all around... im not familiar with Canadian sites and prices, so i couldnt tell you about that, but its worth looking up...

and its the fixed multiplier thats on the chip for when you overclock... you take the FSB and the multiplier and multiply those two numbers to get your CPU's speed. i like the x10 multiplier cuz its alot easier than trying to figure out a x9... so you can overclock a little easier and prolly a little further than a Q6600, but you prolly wont notice the difference much unless you plan on overclocking quite a bit... haha... but anywho, thats what i meant...
your CPU doesnt matter for DirectX really... thats your video card, and both the 8 and 9 thousand series are DX10 compatible... :) - RK

so basically for a gamer, you want the e8400 to overclock it to 4ghz+. Judging from the 8800GTX, you probably game a lot.

The q6700 has a x10 multipler that theriotically will oc better than the q6600 with a multiplier of x9.

If you got no clue on what overclock is or how to do it, best you go with a faster dual-core than slower quad cores.

oops, beat me to it... haha
but yea, i agree... faster dual core is better for gaming, but only if you dont overclock...
again, good luck :) - RK

Ok I did a lot of reading on here and through google tonight and i decided to go with a quad core. Now i am deciding between a q6700 or a q6600. I will be over-clocking and putting in water-cooling. I have done neither before but i learn fast and it am pretty mechanically inclined.

The specs on these 2 processors are identical except for the speed ( which will be oc'd anyways) and the multiples you guys talked about. They are both G0 stepping which i guess is good for overclocking. When both cpus are clocked as high as they can go what will their speeds be at. Will the 6700 be at least 20% faster, to justify the 20% extra cost for me ? Also i heard my motherboard is a pain to oc with. It is the release edition of Evga 680i sli, is this going to effect how either processor overclocks for me ?

Sorry for the hundred questions. I checked NCIX earlier today too, tiger is mostly more expensive but they are having a sale on these cpu at the moment so it is the way to go for today.

The Q6700 offers absolutely nothing over the Q6600 except the higher multiplier....which is still nothing in my opinion because the 9x multiplier of the Q6600 is plenty high.

If your motherboard can do 400fsb then the 9x multi will put the q6600 at 3.6ghz.....

What kind of motherboard and ram do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom