Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009 - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie
 
aetherh4cker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 752
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
exactly, its retarded to wait a year for something as small as a chipset. Would never get a comp built, by the time the chipset is out that you want, a new one will be out the following month....oh got to wait for that one now....
I think I'm going to have this problem...

I planned to build a PC this month, but due to unforeseen events in life, I've been forced to postpone my building to about April of next year...

... though... with such a drastic change in Intel's design, I think I'd want to wait until the end of next year to build one.

Right now my computer is 3.5 years old, I could probably stretch it to the end of next year... but would it be worth it?

I'm not sure I want to use technology that will be forgotten at the end of next year. I was really just assuming that they would continue using the 775 socket... but now that I know they already have a date to replace it... I don't know what to do.

I hate this...
__________________

aetherh4cker is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 482
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherh4cker View Post
I think I'm going to have this problem...

I planned to build a PC this month, but due to unforeseen events in life, I've been forced to postpone my building to about April of next year...

... though... with such a drastic change in Intel's design, I think I'd want to wait until the end of next year to build one.

Right now my computer is 3.5 years old, I could probably stretch it to the end of next year... but would it be worth it?

I'm not sure I want to use technology that will be forgotten at the end of next year. I was really just assuming that they would continue using the 775 socket... but now that I know they already have a date to replace it... I don't know what to do.

I hate this...

depending on what your current rig is, you could just buy something as simple as a new video card to stretch out its lifespan till you wanna build your new comp. Btw i was just being sarcastic in my post, planning on building this month WITH a x38 MB. But if these 8800GT's are any good i might consider SLI for a mere 400$.... cheaper then the ultra i was planning on getting.
__________________

Prophet is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie
 
aetherh4cker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 752
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
depending on what your current rig is, you could just buy something as simple as a new video card to stretch out its lifespan till you wanna build your new comp. Btw i was just being sarcastic in my post, planning on building this month WITH a x38 MB. But if these 8800GT's are any good i might consider SLI for a mere 400$.... cheaper then the ultra i was planning on getting.
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Socket 478
Northbridge Intel i875P rev. A2
AGP GeForce 6200
1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM

I don't know if I want to spend money on my current machine... It's just not that great, and I plan on turning it into a linux only machine (no gaming) after I build a new one...

I do have a question though... why is Intel ahead of AMD? Sounds like Intel is stealing AMD's ideas... but if AMD has the better layout, then why isn't AMD kicking ***? Will Intel really be better off after it changes to the AMD style of doing things?
aetherh4cker is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Camera junky
 
Poizen22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ottawa ontario canada.
Posts: 6,280
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario03 View Post
He didn't contradict himself. He said theres no point to waiting a year for chipset since it won't give a huge boost by itself. When he was talking about the current chipsets he said they were fine to use because they work and are stable.

If your okay with waiting a year for computer parts you will never build your system. Its going to be awesome but new stuff comes out alllllllll the time.
Are you going to say that all the people that buy in a year wasted their money because a year later a new chipset is coming out?
u got exacly what i said, im glad some one gets me lol, id gladly buy an x38 now then wait a year for something else.


and every year something new comes out and the new gets old, build now, and youl be fine, as in a year when u build itl be forgoten again in a year when the new tech comes out.

thats why its usually smart to skip a generation, i skiped x2 so il probably go with a phenom, or buy the amd 5000=x2 to hold me off, anyway ive had my rig for two years and its done me well, i was glad to see its lastiung this long, and is still capable of max gfx on some games beign released like ut3 for example, just build now or youl never stop waiting.
__________________

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Poizen22 is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
gone
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,051
Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Ya thats why nehalem is going to force me to upgrade. They are finally going back to onboard memory controllers. I'm going to hold off until the 32nm die shrink though as i highly doubt the performance gain of nehalem at 45nm will be enough to make me rebuild a 1 year old quadcore machine.
I'm personally waiting for the 1nm die, that thing is going to flat out own anything we can even imagine...and its only like...10 or so years away, well worth the wait imho
__________________
i7 3770k @ stock 3.5, Gigabyte GA-Z77X UD3H
Samsung 830 SSD 256gb and WD Black HD 1Tb, CoolerMaster HAF-X Case
Corsair HX 750 watt PSU, EVGA GTX 670 with 1.25 gig video memory @ stock settings, 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card, Logitech G5 series 2
Corsair K90 keyboard, Dell 24" U2412M monitor
Gabb is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 482
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherh4cker View Post
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Socket 478
Northbridge Intel i875P rev. A2
AGP GeForce 6200
1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM

I don't know if I want to spend money on my current machine... It's just not that great, and I plan on turning it into a linux only machine (no gaming) after I build a new one...

I do have a question though... why is Intel ahead of AMD? Sounds like Intel is stealing AMD's ideas... but if AMD has the better layout, then why isn't AMD kicking ***? Will Intel really be better off after it changes to the AMD style of doing things?

Yeah you pretty much have the same setup as me. If it were me i would just continue with your plan on building a new comp next april. but you can ask around on these forums for cheap upgrades. These guys are great for finding cheap, effective upgrades for ya
Prophet is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

seems like intel are copying amd, hopefully this will make the intels even better tho. i also cant wait to see how the phenoms perform.
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Blitersety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Finleyville, PA
Posts: 682
Send a message via AIM to Blitersety
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario03 View Post
He didn't contradict himself. He said theres no point to waiting a year for chipset since it won't give a huge boost by itself. When he was talking about the current chipsets he said they were fine to use because they work and are stable.

If your okay with waiting a year for computer parts you will never build your system. Its going to be awesome but new stuff comes out alllllllll the time.
Are you going to say that all the people that buy in a year wasted their money because a year later a new chipset is coming out?
But what I'm saying is, it's not everyday they come out with new socket designs. My point was, the x38 supports 775, not the upcoming socket. So, if you spend upwards of 280.00 on the x38 now, it won't even be compatible with nehalem, so why spend the money? I think that the current Core 2 Duos/Quads are just fine, and I wouldn't upgrade to an x38 chipset and Penryn today, instead of nehalem tomorrow, because the new socket will almost certainly have you set for quite a few years, which would be perfect if you aren't the person who always just so happens to have 500.00 dollars to blow every time something new comes out.
__________________
Technology articles, reviews, and more! http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/philipdavis
-Asus P5Q Deluxe
- Intel G0 Q6600
-EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
-Corsair TX750
-Antec 900 case
-Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HDD - main
-WD 320GB HDD - secondary
-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD - tertiary
-Crucial Ballistix Tracer 3GB DDR2
-Lite-On 20x DVD burner
-Wireless MX-Revolution mouse
-Logitech G11 keyboard
Blitersety is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Default Re: Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

I wouldn't upgrade to x38 but if I was building a high end pc right now I would consider it. Well actually "I" probably wouldn't because I'm cheap, but people that usually buy the expensive stuff either don't upgrade for a long time or buy stuff all the time anyways.

I know what your saying, I'm just saying that if I for some reason I bought a x38 wouldn't regret buying it because of a new chipset that isn't coming for a year. Now if it was coming out next month then I might. But those new mobos might cost a ton since x38 is expensive and these new boards probably have a lot more R&D than a x38. R&D=$
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Now I lay my computer down to sleep, I pray the hard drive my files to keep, If I should lose power before I save, I pray the hard drive my backups to take"
The Techies' Bible - Dario 1:1
dario03 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel Demonstrates First 32nm Chip and Next-Generation Nehalem Processors maroon1 New Systems | Building and Buying 27 09-20-2007 01:07 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.