Putting together PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Putting together PC

Alright this is the PC I'm putting together I have all the parts already..

Can someone recomend a web site that will give me step by step or PC building for dummy?? There's got to be something out there....

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory X'2 2 (8GB's)

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX AZTEC ATX-619WB Black/ Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port / Extra silver face plate - Card Readers

2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Putting together PC

I would go with an ATI 4870 1gb they are faster than the GTX 260 192core, and a little faster than the core 216 or if you really wanted Nvidia I would get the core 216.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Please read the original post, he already has his parts...

There are a few sites, here are some.

Build Your Own Computer : Step-by-Step Guide
Build a System: Page 2
How to build a PC - The Tech Report - Page 1
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Honestly, its pretty much like legos.

Start by putting the cpu in the socket. It has a little triangle in one corner that matches up to another triangle on the socket. Then close the lid thingy and lock it down.

Then put on the cpu cooler making sure to orient it so that the fan will be blowing out to the back. You can put the fan on either side of the cooler as long as it is blowing outwards.

Next put in your ram. Check your motherboard manual to see which slots to put it in. Then set that aside.

Now install the psu. Make sure the fan isnt facing the back wall of the case.

Then slide in your hard drive and dvd drives to the slots you want them in. Screw them in with the screws that come with the motherboard or use the tool-free clips on the side.

Now find the little gold standoffs that screw into where the motherboard goes. There should be a guide as to where to put them for ATX. A standoff is the screw that has a screwhole on top of it so you can screw in another screw on it.

Then place the motherboard in the case and line it up with the standoffs; screw it down with the screws provided with your case.

Now put your graphics card into the top slot that it fits in. There should be something in the motherboard manual as to where to put it too. There should be a 'x16' somewhere around the slot you put it in.

Now plug in all the power cords from the psu into their proper spots. They all only go in one place and should be labeled too. Make sure everything is plugged into the PSU.

Next find the proper cables for your hard drive and dvd drive. They should be flat and skinny. There will be a group of connections on the motherboard for you to put them.

Once you have double checked that everything is plugged in and connected, hook up your monitor, mouse and keyboard, and plug in the PSU to the wall and start up it up! Then just put the windows disk in your DVD drive and follow the instructions to install windows. Its really quite simple once you look at it all together. Everything only goes in one place.

Heres an image of your mobo that i labeled so you knew where everything will go.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. Just be VERY easy with the CPU the pins are just looking for an excuse to bend.
Follow My Twitch Stream
Buy Discounted PC Games and more!
Free Amazon Prime 30-Day Trial

New build as of 3/5/2014
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Corsair h100i Liquid CPU Cooler
G.SKILL RipJaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Corsair 540 Case
Corsair AX850 Professional Series Modular PSU
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

<---- If you feel sorry for me, or either I helped you - throw me some rep :D
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

intel cpus dont have pins. They have little pads so you dont have to worry about bending pins. Just dont touch the bottom of it.

I forgot to tell you to put the thermal interface material (TIM) on. I dont know how your cpu cooler comes but you should have some sort of TIM between your cpu and the heatsink. If there is a little tube of it, put about a pee sized drop of it in the middle of the cpu and then put the heatsink over it. It will be spread around by the pressure of the heatsink.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks guys, I'll give it a crack, I started opening the Case and the MOBO, and I don't know what I got myself into. I think this will take a couple of weeks.

I'm sure i'll be starting new threads with much questions, Thanks again....
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

You are going to look back at this comment pretty soon and laugh at yourself for saying it. The process is a lot simpler than you think, as you're about to find out. Follow the instructions in your motherboard manual and what Pinscher posted and you'll be golden. The process takes 30 minutes for an experienced builder, for a newb...an hour, two tops.

Just don't hurry, take your time and post any questions you have here and congrats on the new system.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Yea when you get your first one under your belt your like ( that was it):freak:

Processor: Core i7 920 4.2Ghz 24/7
Motherboard: EVGA X58 758 SLI
Cooling: Water cooling
Memory: 2x3Gig Kingston Hyper X 2100Mhz
Video Card: XFX GTX285
Harddisk: 2-Seagate Barracuda 250GB in RAID 0
PSU: Corsair 1000 Watt Modular
Closed Thread