Putting it Together - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Putting it Together

So I've got all my components, and now I just need some help putting them all together. My specs are as follows:

XCLIO Full Tower w/ 2x250mm fans and an extra 120mm fan for the back
750W Corsair PSU
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD SATA 3.0Gb/s
LG Black DVD Burner
Gigabyte UD5 Mobo
OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) RAM
Core i7 920 w/ Artic Silver 5
Zalman 9700 Cooler w/ Adapter Clip
XFX Nvidia GTX 285
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Can anyone give a guide that's step by step on assembling this? Any links or advice you can give is greatly appreciated and will help tremendously I am sure! Thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to nderscore
Default Re: Putting it Together

Here is a quick step by step guide that I generally follow.

1. Open case and take out everything (in your case leave only the fans and the cables coming from the power switch, usb, firewire, etc.)

2. Find the motherboard standoffs (usually comes in a brass color) and place them accordingly in the case. You will usually use about nine of these.

3. If you do not have a modular power supply, I suggest you place your power supply in your case now. Trying to put it in with all your other hardware inside can be frustrating when you have cables all of the place.

4. Put your motherboard on a flat surface and mount the CPU and CPU cooler. Make sure you applied thermal paste and follow instructions provided by your CPU cooler's manual. Install your RAM by noticing the notches on the sticks and aligning it correctly in the DIMM slots.

5. Find your motherboard I/O shield plate in your motherboard box (a thin, rectangular, shiny piece of metal).

6. Place your motherboard inside your computer and use the correct screws to secure your motherboard in the case.

7. Insert your optical drive and hard drive as provided by your case manual.

8. Connect all power cables and data cables.
This includes, but not limited to:
24 pin ATX motherboard power
8 pin EPS cpu power
sata power for optical drives and hard drives
any 3 pin fans or molex fans
sata data cables
front power/reset/hdd led/ power led/speaker switches and cables
front usb/firewire/esata if applicable
9. Carefully seat your video card and connect the appropriate power cables.

10. Make sure everything is connected properly and power on your system.

11. Insert your operating system disk and install.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

Build Your Own Computer : Step-by-Step Guide
Build a System: Page 1
How to build a PC - The Tech Report - Page 1
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the info, I'm learning a lot!! The one part I am most nervous about is putting on the thermal compound on the processor I think. I'm afraid I will get too much or too little and then install it wrong and my CPU will fry! Any advice on this step?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

a thin line down the middle is sufficient. Make sure and check you heatsink for sometimes manufactures will put a protective plastic sheet on them. Be sure to remove that if present.

[Guide] Applying thermal paste on Core i7, Core2Duo & Core2Quad and installing a 3rd party Heatisink - www.hardwarezone.com.sg
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

There also might be a guide here on these forums of the whole build process.....if not ...do a google search and you will find great guides out there on the internet....also on newegg, they use to have little video clips on how to install your cpu, I do not know if they still do or not.
Cooler Master CM Stacker Case
Asus P8Z68 V Pro/Gen 3
Intel i5-2500K
Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

just go to youtube and search build computer....there are tons of videos out there with step by step guides... some are MUCH better than others, so if something sucks, find a new one
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

I already linked to 3 good guides with pictures.

And I was worried about the thermal compound on my first build, too. It really wasn't a big deal. Put a rice-sized line down the middle and just put the heatsink on... the pressure from the heatsink will spread it by itself.

Closed Thread