Putting the rig together - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Putting the rig together

I have close to little knowledge on this.
Right now I only have the mobo/cpu in my case, along with the ram and scythe mugen 2 cooler.
Idk if it's just the way I am. But I feel like if I am not super careful I am going to ruin it.
I'm just paranoid because it cost so much.
My Mugen 2 seems really tight. I cant really tell exactly how tight though. If it touched the processor that is bad right? It's too close for me to tell and it is kind of worrying me. I also applied artic silver thermal paste and if that went wrong I'd hate to have to take the cpu cooler off. lol
That CPU cooler was a pain to get on.. I swear I need 4 hands for that...
It's been about about 5 years since I have even looked inside a computer.
So yeah to sum things up. I'm just worried.
I'm going off manuals and sometimes I still feel a little lost =p

Although my dvd drive hasn't arrived yet, I have everything else and I wanted it to be ready for the dvd drive. Maybe I should have gotten so eager. x]

I have a Phenom 2 x4 955 BE.
4Gigs of G.Skill DDR3 Ram
750W Corsair PSU
XFX 4890 GPU
Asus M4A79GT Deluxe Mobo
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
Mugen 2 CPU cooler

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Putting the rig together

This might help you out

Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for that link Slay. I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I think that guide will really help with the process.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I took off the Mugen 2 because I was feeling iffy about the thermal paste I had applied. I reapplied just a tiny bit and tried to smooth it to the best of my ability but it was just so hard.
I kind of got a tiny bit of AS5 on the cpu cooler but that shouldn't be worried about right?
It also got a little messy somewhat. Only near the screws, the outside part that holds the cpu cooler firmly in place, but since that part is pretty much hovering over the mobo it shouldnt matter correct? Btw it sounds like I went berserk on the paste... I didn't =p It's about paper thin... just not super smooth =[

Thanks for that link. Right now I only have the psu, mobo/cpu, and cooler in. Don't feel like messing with it much more as I don't have my dvd drive yet. Hopefully everything goes okay.
Closed Thread