Purchasing Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am picky on performance and I hear they're ultra fast in a raid 0 setup but price definitely outweighs performance, how do they compare with 7200rpm HD? I even see you have WD Raptor 36gb

BTW this is for a computer I'm putting together over the summer not to swap into a current setup.

well they perform a reasonable amount better than 7200rpm but it really comes down to preference. i was prepared to pay the price for the extra bit of performance i could get. whereas most people would probably benefit from just a larger standard drive. so really it is up to you. i'll put it this way, a friend of mine just setup a RAID 0 array (granted with some old 10gb hdd's) but my raptor apparently had almost double the performance of his RAID 0.

Do you think it would best suite me to get two 74 GB WD Raptors and run them raid 0 array? and then just a standard 7200rpm hd for my media?

quite frankly unless you are hardcore computer tech and you have a lot of experience with different hard drives and computers you wont really notice a whole lot of difference betweeen 7200 and 10000. sure there is difference but it just isnt really worth it if its just for ****in media

tehdigit said:
quite frankly unless you are hardcore computer tech and you have a lot of experience with different hard drives and computers you wont really notice a whole lot of difference betweeen 7200 and 10000. sure there is difference but it just isnt really worth it if its just for ****in media

Completely wrong! Even in a single drive setup, the OS and Exe file response with a raptor is instantly recognizable. I have two raptors in RAID 0..........I will never go back to a 7200RPM drive ever again. It is a huge performance difference. Doesn't profoundly affect gaming, in my opinion, but my other puters with 7200's in RAID 0 are like running in sand!!

like i saiddd

if you dont have experience with the harddrives your not gonna know the difference.

but sure if you have mad money to throw down go get it

i for one dont and wont complain about my cute 7200

ps. i run fast in sand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom