Which PSU [XFX 650/XFX 850] should go in which build AMD 1055T/Intel 2500k]?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I recently received a great deal on a couple of XFX's PSU's. I am trying to understand which PSU would be best for each build.

Here's the PSU's I just purchased:

XFX 650 Modular
XFX 850 Modular

Here's my two latest builds:

Intel 2500K/Gigabyte P67A-UD3
AMD 1055T/Gigabyte 890XA-UD3

Both systems will have the exact same peripherals/hardware:

8 GB or RAM
1 Agility 2 SSD
1 Galaxy GTX 460 GC
2 Western Digital 2TB HD's
CM Storm Sniper with all fan slots filled
Corsair's H70's
ASUS DVD drive

Ok, now the million dollar question:

What would be the best placement of the PSU's and why?
Maybe a better of way of saying it would be: Which system will need the extra power and why?

Thanks,

Soar

Neither build will use anywhere near 650W, let alone 850W, so it really doesn't make a difference. It's unlikely either will pass 500W in use. So just stick either PSU in either machine.

Out of curiosity, how come you purchased PSUs with two different watt-ages for very similar builds?

Neither PC will need 850w as presently configured. But if you were to add a second video card for SLI then the Intel cpu would make the best use of the additional power. I would use the 850 with the Intel cpu as it has the most performance potential.

Neither build will use anywhere near 650W, let alone 850W, so it really doesn't make a difference. It's unlikely either will pass 500W in use. So just stick either PSU in either machine.

Out of curiosity, how come you purchased PSUs with two different watt-ages for very similar builds?

Yummy Yami,

Thanks for your reply.

I purchased both PSU's for several reasons:

1. Both were on sale with a massive discount [but they only permit one unit per household]
2. Both are rebadged Seasonic with some PC Power & Cooling Silencer parts inside and I heard these companies make very good PSU's
3. I wanted to future-proof both systems by purchasing PSU's with little higher rating than I presently need
4. They both look aesthetically pleasing to the eye [with the exception of the 850, which has a puke green fan, but people tell me no one can see the fan once the PSU is installed (bottom of Computer Case)]
5. Both have a 5 year warranty and that is hard to beat
6. I wanted Corsair quality or better without paying for Corsair prices
7. The reviews for both units were absolutely stellar [esp. when I looked at Johnny Guru's reviews]
8. I wanted to create a PSU quiz on Computer Forums [just jokin']

Neither PC will need 850w as presently configured. But if you were to add a second video card for SLI then the Intel cpu would make the best use of the additional power. I would use the 850 with the Intel cpu as it has the most performance potential.

Slay,

Thanks for your input. I had no clue which way to go...I thought the Intel 2500K might be a little more energy efficient so I was gonna put the 650 unit there. Then I thought about the incredible over clocking abilities of the 2500k and thought maybe I should place the 850 unit there.

Finally I realized I have no clue which way to go, and that is why I came here!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom