PSU views - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default PSU views

Ive checked the power supplies thread and noticed that thermaltake are in the medium to low end section but i have found this:
eBay.co.uk: Thermaltake W0049 Purepower 680W PSU SLI Crossfire (item 280064771705 end time 28-Mar-07 06:13:18 BST)

This item suggests it has the ability to work with crossfire and SLI so surely it will work with high-end builds especially as its a 680w PSU??

Your views would be greatly apprecieted.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: PSU views

You really want gay Crossfire don't you...sigh just aren't worth it IMO but whatever. Well yea Thermaltake are no where near as trusted as some other brands but I'm sure it would work. Understand though that PSU's don't have to say Crossfire ready or anything for them to work. 680w is overkill and I suggest this one instead as it has plenty of enough power.

eBay.co.uk: Hiper Type R 580 Watt PSU (AMD Approved) Modular-BLACK (item 330099893262 end time 22-Mar-07 10:22:15 GMT)

If you want the best pretty much though in terms of trusted, get this CorsairHX 620w as it is arguably one of the best PSU's out there.

eBay.co.uk: 620W Corsair HX Series Modular 620 Watt PSU ATX SLi EPS (item 180097246501 end time 26-Mar-07 11:37:52 BST)

Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No its not that i want crossfire its just i would feel better if i knew i had the option to use it without the pain of having to change a PSU. I understand that its not worth it atm due to it run well under 50% extra but you never know what the future might hold.

As for the PSUs you have shown me i think the hiper looks tacky although thats not an issue as it will work with my system i get that. The Corsair looks amazing from the spec. - with it being SLi compatible, does that mean the same as crossfire?? I think ill probably go for the Corsair one.

So the main jist is just stay away from thermaltake as they are pretty bad for PSUs from people's experiences.

Thanks for posting stuff from ebay it helps alot

PS. What about this Seasonic PSUs and Silverstone PSU:
eBay.co.uk: 500w SeaSonic M12-500 Modular 500 Watt PSU Power Supply (item 180086281346 end time 16-Apr-07 12:20:10 BST)
eBay.co.uk: 600W Silverstone Strider ST60F ATX PSU Power Supply (item 180085544623 end time 14-Apr-07 17:04:24 BST)
eBay.co.uk: 600W / 600 Watt Seasonic S12-600 ATX PSU Power Supply (item 180093279395 end time 05-Apr-07 12:16:37 BST)
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammybaines View Post

So the main jist is just stay away from thermaltake as they are pretty bad for PSUs from people's experiences.
No, The ToughPower series is specifically reccomended for higher end builds. But thats only when your looking at thermaltake alone, as in buy a ToughPower series over any other series your looking at. The ToughPower series is the best TT has to offer. All other models are so so...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

agreed, i'm a thermaltake fan and i don't trust their power supplies. don't forget Antec, though i've heard their TP2 series has gone to crap . there's FPS and Fortron as well as OCZ. just because a psu has a high power rating and 2 pci-e connectors (for SLI or Crossfire) doesn't make it a good psu. it's reliability makes it a good psu.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Dude seriously, sora dont be such a fanboy, sli is no better than crossfire. At the moemnt they cant make it completely efficient so w/e, [snipped]

You still cant beat the performance of a rig with good cards in sli or crossfire.

I highly reccomend, seasonic, silverstone, and antec. Corsair's psu's are just rebranded seasonics from what ive heard so w/e...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
Dude seriously, sora dont be such a fanboy, sli is no better than crossfire. At the moemnt they cant make it completely efficient so w/e, [snipped]

You still cant beat the performance of a rig with good cards in sli or crossfire.

I highly reccomend, seasonic, silverstone, and antec. Corsair's psu's are just rebranded seasonics from what ive heard so w/e...
Watch criticizing anyone before you know what they mean. I don't like Crossfire OR SLI so one loss for you. Also I'm not a fanboy and I recommended SLI 8800GTX in a build about an hour ago becuase the guy wanted maxium performance. Please refrain from talking like that.

EDIT: Corsair are NOT rebranded. They are made by seasonic like how Samsung makes Dell monitors and packages them under the other company's name. Another loss for you.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

in saying rebranded, i was simply stating that corsair does not actually make their power supplies and instead are made under their name by someone else. Excuse me for not being perfectly clear.

And I would have then phrased your comment regarding crossfire being gay differenly, as their are members on the forums who I know wouldnt appreciate it.

Forums dont need members like you, so g'day, hopefully i dont run across you again...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

I've been overly happy with my two Thermal Take Tough power 750 and 850 watt model's.
They've worked great for me so far to date! I was mostly looking for a good psu with modular cabling, And these seem to work nicely.
Not a very cheap route, But none the less a good working psu. No doubt there are many other great brand psu's, So don't flame me on that.

I'm only stating my opinion that I've had nothing but good luck with my model's.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I have a Hiper 580W PSU, and it's a great, stable PSU.

But apparently the US models aren't as efficient
why did the US choose to use 110V, 10A instead of 240V, 5a? you get less power loss with lower amps, and higher voltage