PSU specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevytrucknut

In Runtime
When I'm looking for a PSU (to upgrade mine), what numbers should I look for when I'm looking at the specs.

For example, I saw one that's:
+3.3 +5 +12
25A 55A 28A

and another one like so:
+3.3 +5 +12
30A 50A 35A

Both are SATA ready, 550W, but the top one is a 135mm fan, and the bottom one is a 120mm fan.

Sooo, which is better?

Thanks

Well, the 135mm fan is slightly bigger, which could mean less RPMs, which could mean quieter ..

other than that, they're about the same. The rail I usually look at is the +12v one, since that's the one that powers your video card. I read somewhere that you want at least 15-18 amps on it, and since both of those are really high, I'm guessing either one would be fine. Of course, telling you how many amps are on each rail doesn't tell you everything. If the power supply can't maintain a steady voltage, it's no good. Make sure you get a good brand, like Antec, OCZ, or Fortron (if you're on a budget). You can't really go on numbers when choosing a power supply.

The 12. rail is what you want to look at and you want at least 30A showing if it is a gaming rig, high performance computer. I don't know a thing about those manufactures. I usually stick with Enermax, Antec, Fortran, and a fe others.

Search for and Read Static 11's guide to when buying compputer parts, read the Power supply section.

How much do you want to spend. Ill show you a good one.

I don't want to hijack this thread but can someone suggest me a very quiet PSU with around 500W? I'm on a quest to make my computer quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom