PSU questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUMP in hope of answers:

I'm still a little confused, so for a single GTX 280 a 600 watt power supply is okay? I was asking about what PSU wattage I would need to SLI 2 of them in the future because I might just go with that PSU so I don't have to worry about switching PSUs. Will 650watt PSU handle SLI GTX 280s?

It really depends on the quality of the supply, and the Amperes on the 12v rail

If there is only a single 12v rail, its going to be sketchy at best.

2x 12v rails with 16-18a each will be fine in most cases.

(i've seen 250w psu running athlon x2 dual core, and x1950xt... the x1950 says "requires 350w psu" on the box... so it really depends on the quality)

a 650w Power supply should be plenty, but make sure if your buying one, to get a high-quality one.

Dont buy a BestBuy power supply, And try to shoot for 2 or more 12v rails.

Go with one of Corsairs 500~600 watt PSU's. When it comes to PSU's I only know about aimps, rails, and wattage. So I m still kind of learning myself.

Just go with the PSU thirdshift recommended.

BUMP in hope of answers:

I'm still a little confused, so for a single GTX 280 a 600 watt power supply is okay? I was asking about what PSU wattage I would need to SLI 2 of them in the future because I might just go with that PSU so I don't have to worry about switching PSUs. Will 650watt PSU handle SLI GTX 280s?

for SLIing 280s you'll need a fair amount of power... i wouldn't go below 650W (bare minimum)... really i'd like to have at least 750W to do it (im the kind of person who likes to have a little overhead... just in case), so a TX-750 would be a great PSU for the job, but, yes, you could do it on a 650W PSU, as long as you dont OC the CPU too far, and you'll have to leave the GPUs near stock

It really depends on the quality of the supply, and the Amperes on the 12v rail

If there is only a single 12v rail, its going to be sketchy at best.

2x 12v rails with 16-18a each will be fine in most cases.

(i've seen 250w psu running athlon x2 dual core, and x1950xt... the x1950 says "requires 350w psu" on the box... so it really depends on the quality)

a 650w Power supply should be plenty, but make sure if your buying one, to get a high-quality one.

Dont buy a BestBuy power supply, And try to shoot for 2 or more 12v rails.

A single 12v rail is better than having multiple 12v rails. Infact many of the best power suplies have single rails.

wow that thing has a 60amp 12v rail........

dont short the 12v rail across your chest.. whatever you do..

it takes .5 amps to stop your heart, 60 is going to do it alot faster=)

the PSU john linked looks like a great supply, and Corsair makes quality stuffs.

(then again, I=V/R.... so.... 12/x (where X is the resistance of your chest) is going to be a very very low number of amps... it probably wouldnt kill you...)

This is why CPU and GPU draw so much power, they are designed to be very low resistance circuits. And they draw 1.3~1.8 volts. So you can imagine the ammount of current the new generation CPU and GPUs pull.

But i know from personal experience repairing CRTs and Power supplies (replacing capacitors and fuzes mostly)

The Caps in a power supply hold an incredible ammount of electric current=)

And it hurts like **** when they short across your fingers.

Either way =) thats a good ammount of current.

dont wear gloves when your working on computers.

Wear an anti-static wrist strap, but dont wear gloves.

The friction between your hand and the glove can build up static, and end up ruining your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom