PSU Question for 220v outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hey all,

I'm currently living abroad in Europe but will be visiting the US soon and plan to build a mini-ITX rig. The case (with included PSU) I will be using is the following:

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG07-B Black Aluminum / SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 600W 80+ Bronze Certified / Single +12V rail Power Supply

The question I have is, is the PSU compatible with 220v so that I'll only need a plug adapter, like this:

VoltageConverters.com - American to European Plug Adapter

or am I going to need a full on voltage converter like this:

VoltageConverters.com - 750W Step Up / Down Voltage Transformer

(the PSU in the case is 600w, so I chose the 750w converter)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Riznarf

A cheap plug adapter is all your need, power supplies take input voltages usually ranging from 100-240v.

even the cheap-o PSU included in the case? Thatd be seriously unfortunate if i buy everything travel all the way back to Europe and then fry $1000+ worth of equipment? I'm not doubting you, just want to be absolutely sure

I'm sure it will work, on some older/cheap psu there might be a switch with options "115v" and "230v". If you have it on your psu than you'll have to manually set it. If it doesn't have the switch than the psu will automatically scan and detect the correct voltage.

If you really want to be cautious, when you get back to Europe, just test the psu by itself with just a case fan attached to it. Use a paper clip on the black and green wire on the 24pin plug to start the psu. Within a minute or two your psu will blow up if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom