PSU powerful enough??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PSU powerful enough???

ok im just about got enough to get my first build but i have no idea if the psu im getting is enough power heres the parts and the psu is 500w

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo - Newegg.com - ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GPU - Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case w/ PSU - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

CPU Cooler - Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

the psu comes with the case. im probably gonna get the first of the two gpus. i added the cpu cooler because im going to oc the cpu (if i can find some good tuts ). any help is greatly appreciated

Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: PSU powerful enough???

Case PSUs generally suck and will die on you pretty quickly. Get this instead:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

And why are you getting an E6300?

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

You shouldn't trust PSU's that come bundled with cases, they're nearly always ****.
Maybe try this one:
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX RX-600AF 600W ATX12V &#47; EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply - Power Supplies
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Is 500w enough to run this/overclock the cpu?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It's not just the wattage that matters, it's also the efficiency of the psu and the amount of amps it can deliver too. And without any extra info on the psu included with that case, I really couldn't say.
As I said in my first post, I wouldn't put any money on it being a good psu.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
It's not just the wattage that matters, it's also the efficiency of the psu and the amount of amps it can deliver too. And without any extra info on the psu included with that case, I really couldn't say.
As I said in my first post, I wouldn't put any money on it being a good psu.
well with the wattage too low it could fail so thats why im asking
Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Given that the quality of the psu is good, then yes 500w SHOULD be enough to power your rig. However, as you will be overclocking it as well, I'd go with something a little higher, maybe 550W. No sense running a psu which can only JUST handle the load.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet

I wouldn't trust the case PSU. Like S0UL said, go with a little more wattage from a reliable PSU.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnpankake View Post
well with the wattage too low it could fail so thats why im asking
Look. Let me spell this out for you like everyone else has been trying to do.

1) The wattage is important but it's not the only factor.
What I mean by this is a 500w PSU that's a piece of garbage and cheap will be nowhere near as good as a decent quality PSU with the same wattage. Meaning if a system needed 450w of power and you had a crappy 500w PSU, it would NOT BE GUARANTEED TO WORK.

2) Pretty much the same as number 1.
This is so important, that I decided to mention it twice. A CRAPPY PSU WILL NOT WORK AS WELL. And that is why we are saying to grab something else that IS good. Because even if 500w is enough to power that machine there is no guarantee that the case PSU will run it. So when we "didn't answer your question", it's because we gave you an answer you apparently didn't like, and that's really too bad because our answer happens to be right.

Now to answer your question in the way you apparently want it answered.

Yes, 500w should be enough. But if you decide to cheap out and use the case PSU, then you can't say we never warned you. Get it? I linked you to a great PSU, I suggest you buy it. If you don't and that case PSU blows up in a couple months, don't blame us.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Closed Thread