PSU powerful enough? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Smile PSU powerful enough?

I need your help again, chaps.

I ordered the final components of my new build late last night, but I somehow ordered the wrong PSU. I emailed them straight away asking them to swap the order around, but it shipped first thing in the morning and they emailed me after it had already gone.

I got an Enermax Infiniti 650W instead of a Coolermaster Real Power 850w PSU. I know amperage is far more important than wattage, but I'm still none-the-wiser about whether it's good enough.

I'm fairly clueless about all this stuff, but I was wondering if someone could tell me (or tell me how to figure out on my own) if the Enermax PSU will be enough to power my machine (I'm guessing no).

I have;

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB SSC Edition

Asus P5Q-E Intel P45

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Black Dragon

And 2 coolers.

Sorry about the generic question.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: PSU powerful enough?

It should be enough, if it doesn't power on then you know

Usually power supply's are adequate enough for a system, but people at tech forums recommend power supply's that have trusted brands and have undergone testing or have had a good review from another member or website.

Generally you will find that most power supply's will power a system within it's limits and that it's only rare that a power supply will cause a problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well my last PC has problems for the first year or so, and I eventually discovered that the power supply was somehow the router of the problem. I replaced it and never had trouble again.

I want to get something I know will work, so if there's any doubt I guess I'll send it back.

I'd turn it on and try it, like you suggest, but then I can't return it.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

For that price, it is a major rip off. You can get a Corsair 750tx which will be enough to power all your parts plus future upgrades and is a rock solid stable PSU.

But, to answer your question, yes that Enermax 650 will be plenty to power your system as well.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I know that PSU is a serious rip-off. The way I accidentally bought it was by looking at the price and somehow thought it was an 850W model instead of 650 just because of the price.

If you're completely confident that it'll power my machine then I'll probably keep it. I've had 3 weeks of headaches trying to sort this order out, and I can't really be bothered sending it back.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

It has more than enough power for your system, plenty of Amps and Watts. Unless you had one of the rare PSU's that fail, you should be more than fine. Plus, if you install it, use it, and it fails, you can return it. If not to NewEgg or the place you bought it, you can return it to the manufacturer for replacement/repair.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, thank you, I'll keep it then.

Thanks for the help!

Closed Thread