PSU for GTX 480 - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,659
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

And therein lies the problem. Meeting the persons requirements is subjective to each posters idea of how much is needed. E.g. one might say that a 4870 is all you need to play games really well, another might say a 5970 is what you need. Neither would be 'wrong' per se, but both are clearly different.

While you might say the extra performance given by a 480 will never justify the extra cost, others (like me ) will disagree. Two 480's will give me better performance than anything else out therere except two 5970's. And the cost of those 5970s is quite substantially more than the cost of two 480's.
__________________

__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now  
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
And therein lies the problem. Meeting the persons requirements is subjective to each posters idea of how much is needed. E.g. one might say that a 4870 is all you need to play games really well, another might say a 5970 is what you need. Neither would be 'wrong' per se, but both are clearly different.

While you might say the extra performance given by a 480 will never justify the extra cost, others (like me ) will disagree. Two 480's will give me better performance than anything else out therere except two 5970's. And the cost of those 5970s is quite substantially more than the cost of two 480's.
Subjective due to ignorance. The bit with computers is everything can be quantified however you want. You can make a very good case that a 4870 simply is not fast enough with benchmarks. You can also argue the price/performance ratio of any particular card/chip.anything is insufficient to warrant buying it. All you need is the numbers, and when you are dealing with a very number oriented topic everything else is pretty pointless. Also anyone who has that kind of money really doesn't need our help. They should go ahead and spend it on the biggest parts and make us feel bad about ourselves.

Also, stop posting on a forum and go eat some dinner or watch some prime time tv. It's 3 am here, but you're far from done.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,659
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Eh? Don't get the last line at all.
and it's only 2:56PM atm here

lol, and who messed with my sig?!
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now  
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

That can't be right, I just checked an international clock and it said 4pm in sydney, and you all live on the coast.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #45 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,659
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

lol, I believe it says 'Perth, Australia' in my location that's about 4000 Kilometers due west of sydney
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #46 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Despite what you say, i disagree that the level of physics nvidias PhysX provides us with can be achieved by a good CPU without being at much expense to performance. If the CPU could do all this real time fluid simulation and the rest of it, why has it never been pulled off to look and behave even half as good as PhysX does ?

I'll pretend for a minute that CPU's can do the task just as well without sacrificing much gameplay performance, that's great and all, but i can still only get it by using a PhysX card. It is essentially pointless to argue whether the CPU can or can not do the task, the fact of the matter is the only way to experience PhysX like physics is by using a nVidia card whether this is because only GPU's are powerful enough or nVidia pays all these devs to restrict the realisticness of there in game physics does not matter, the fact remains the same.

And zmatt, you are talking about only ever basing your decision off Price/Performance, if this was the same for me i too would of got a 5870. But it isn't, i like what PhysX gives me, and i like what CUDA does, and i actually prefer nvidia over ATI as i'm sure many other people do. Whether all these features are cons or not is again, totally irrelevent, i couldn't get them by getting an ATI card or by getting a better CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Subjective due to ignorance. The bit with computers is everything can be quantified however you want. You can make a very good case that a 4870 simply is not fast enough with benchmarks. You can also argue the price/performance ratio of any particular card/chip.anything is insufficient to warrant buying it. All you need is the numbers, and when you are dealing with a very number oriented topic everything else is pretty pointless. Also anyone who has that kind of money really doesn't need our help. They should go ahead and spend it on the biggest parts and make us feel bad about ourselves.

Also, stop posting on a forum and go eat some dinner or watch some prime time tv. It's 3 am here, but you're far from done.
But for the quantitative data to mean anything to the end user, they must have the correct subjective views. If i define 'fast enough' for me as 5fps, or that i don't care about benchmark, the 4870 immediately becomes fast enough for every game out there, even when you look at the quantitative data. You can look at quantitative data and say "This is fastest" and on the inverse "This is slowest" but you can not say "This is fast enough for me" or "This is to slow for me" to be able to provide those two statements as answers a subjective view on the performance required must be gave.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

I still don't see how people are arguing the gtx 480 isn't good.

It's 10% better than the 5870 at a 10% price increase so you can't say it's horrible. That's even taking phyxs and CUDA out of the equation. And no matter how hard you argue that they are useless it still comes down to nvidia has it and ATI doesn't so even if it's a "useless" feature, they still have it where the competition doesn't. I rather have a useless feature than no feature.

And if you want to go price/performance then stick with what I always say...get a 4850/gtx 260 if you're worried about that. It'll still max everything out there.
__________________

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
wafflehammer is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #48 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
I still don't see how people are arguing the gtx 480 isn't good.

It's 10% better than the 5870 at a 10% price increase so you can't say it's horrible. That's even taking phyxs and CUDA out of the equation. And no matter how hard you argue that they are useless it still comes down to nvidia has it and ATI doesn't so even if it's a "useless" feature, they still have it where the competition doesn't. I rather have a useless feature than no feature.

And if you want to go price/performance then stick with what I always say...get a 4850/gtx 260 if you're worried about that. It'll still max everything out there.
This statement becomes 5x stronger when you consider that to people such as me, PhysX and CUDA do matter, alot.

Everyone can say "The GTX480 isn't the fastest". What they should not say is the GTX480 sucks, or the GTX480 is a bad car. That is like telling someone a car is bad, sure on the front of things it is easy to label a car as bad or good but if done properly the end users requirements MUST be considered before any analysis of the car is carried out and an opinion is provided.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Equator Gringo
 
james.wired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Panama
Posts: 2,318
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
I still don't see how people are arguing the gtx 480 isn't good.

And if you want to go price/performance then stick with what I always say...get a 4850/gtx 260 if you're worried about that. It'll still max everything out there.
I believe the gtx 480 is good with FPS. And what are you talking about a 4850/260 can max everything out there? Uhh they can't, so stop saying it. It's simply not true.
__________________

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
james.wired is offline  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: PSU for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.wired View Post
I believe the gtx 480 is good with FPS. And what are you talking about a 4850/260 can max everything out there? Uhh they can't, so stop saying it. It's simply not true.
oh i'm sorry I didn't know my first hand knowledge of owning and using the card wasn't any good..
__________________

__________________

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
wafflehammer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*READ FIRST* Updated Power supply guide Ste New Systems | Building and Buying 37 04-11-2012 03:50 AM
*READ FIRST* Updated Power supply guide Ste System Upgrades 2 12-12-2009 09:30 PM
Heat/ Airflow/ PSU Pezzy Overclocking and Modding 7 11-26-2009 10:45 AM
2nd PSU question apsoul Overclocking and Modding 3 10-31-2009 01:03 PM
PSU Problem/Cooling Problem Like2game New Systems | Building and Buying 11 01-05-2009 08:46 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.