PSU Advice

Revan_onarsi

Solid State Member
Hi I have finally built up the courage to build my first pc and I have bought all the parts except the PSU was just wondering On how many watts I should get.? and any suggestions ? And is 650w overkill I do intend to upgrade in the future
Mobo: Msi Z97 pc mate
CPU: core i3 4170
RAM: ripjaws x series 8gb.ddr3
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1Tb
GPU: GTX 750ti
PSU: ????

Hi I have finally built up the courage to build my first pc and I have bought all the parts except the PSU was just wondering On how many watts I should get.? and any suggestions ? And is 650w overkill I do intend to upgrade in the future
Mobo: Msi Z97 pc mate
CPU: core i3 4170
RAM: ripjaws x series 8gb.ddr3
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1Tb
GPU: GTX 750ti
PSU: ????

This should be fine imo tbh. The GTX 750ti is going to use approx I think off hand about 60 Watts and the i3 Chip being the CPU will use approx no more than 55 Watts too 60 Watts. I'm not sure about the memory or HDD but if thees are the only Components your installing I don't really see a problem. You could look at something like a 750 Wattage PSU for future Proofing but even then your looking at even that being the likes of a Duel GPU Set up and everything else maxed out I would think. Does your GPU take a separate Power connector. What brand and Model did you get? What cooling are you installing?

This should be fine imo tbh. The GTX 750ti is going to use approx I think off hand about 60 Watts and the i3 Chip being the CPU will use approx no more than 55 Watts too 60 Watts. I'm not sure about the memory or HDD but if thees are the only Components your installing I don't really see a problem. You could look at something like a 750 Wattage PSU for future Proofing but even then your looking at even that being the likes of a Duel GPU Set up and everything else maxed out I would think. Does your GPU take a separate Power connector. What brand and Model did you get? What cooling are you installing?
I haven't got it yet but it does have a connecter as I seen from the specs and I'm using a stock cooler as I don't need to over clock ATM I was thinking about the Evga supernova g1 650 but I was wondering. If the 650 Watt would be overkill

Based on the Power Rating of the component list you've provided I don't really see a problem. I said mabie a 750 Watt because of something like a Duel GPU setup down the line at some point. If your not OC, you should be fine. I'm only using about 200 too 250 Watts of Power and I have a 650 PSU but my Components are old and the System is minimalist.

You could check the Power ratings of the components and add them together. Taking in too account if you keep the Chassis and PSU you could upgrade the rest of the internal components mabie even way down the line. 650 Watts is fine IMHO.

650w is even overkill IMO.

Just get a quality 520w unit (such as a SeaSonic or upper-tier Corsair) and it will last you years.

I'll be running a Corsair 520hx (about 5 years old or so) with an i5-4690k + GTX 960 + HDD's/radiator.

Well it wouldn't hurt to have a little wiggle room for future expansion. Shop carefully. There's a lot of junk out there.

That's why I suggested getting a quality brand such as SeaSonic, who is the OEM for quite a few PSU manufacturers.

Only wattage numbers that truly matter are CPU and GPU as in a gaming or rendering environment those will take the most power. With that being said a PSU purchase has to take upgrades and market sway into account, including present and future budget. So the best thing to do is if the PSU is very temp you can buy a budget like the CX500 and go with it for a while or simply buy a nice decent wattage high quality unit and be done with it for years. The Seasonic S1211 or M1211 (Modular) 620w is a fantastic start.

Back
Top Bottom