PSU for 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelvvmm

In Runtime
Hi, I have changed my mind I have decided to get a 5850 instead of a 5770. I have a Corsair 550vx psu (550 watts). Would it be able to handle two 5850's in crossfire?
My specs are:
amd 720 (4th core unlocked) OCed to 3.0 ghz
2 gigs of ram
and im going to have 2 5850's crossfire

It "MIGHT" be able to hand two 5850's in crossfire.

There's no use in not trying.
I say, give it a shot, if it works, great!
If it doesn't work, then use a single card until you can order a 600-650w PSU to replace it.
No sense in wasting money if you don't need to.

I have that psu running 2x 4850s. Corsair tends to under rate their psu's, so i wouldn't be surprised if it could, however you would be pushing the envelope. Going up to the 620hx would not hurt.

The computer may not start, which would be the best thing. Or you could get it all up and running, and literally fry the PSU or Video cards. If it does start up, get a voltage monitor! Software programs should do just fine. If/When it's booted up, check the 12V voltage.

I took a chance and tried my luck with powering a 4870 with an Antec BP-350. I was lucky as it worked, and kept good voltage, as long as I didn't overclock the video card.

^ motherboards don't have a tdp.

do you mean like if it's limited to using only certain cpus with a specific tdp?

Well technically they do, but it isn't big enough to worry about. I would get a psu from corsair or sea sonic. i sued to recommend pc power and cooling but word is they are slipping in quality.

^ motherboards don't have a tdp.

do you mean like if it's limited to using only certain cpus with a specific tdp?
Yes, what is the highest wattage of a cpu could this motherboard can handle I know it could handle more that 125w because 1 of the reviews showed their specs and it showed a 125w processor (its was the phenom 9850)

yea, that msi mobo supports cpus with a max tdp of 125w.

i see that it supports the pii x4 965 c3 stepping, which is the 125w version, but it does not support the c2 stepping, which is the 140w version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom