psu, and the 12 v rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysamere

Baseband Member
ok i got a 450 watt psu from E power its 12 v rail is 16 amps,

i also have a radeon x1950 pro with recommended 30 amps on 12 v rail

did i screw up when choosing psu lol? btw why does vid card need the 12 v rail if it takes a molex connector anyway... i connect 1 4 pin connector to run it... someone shed some light plz, my cpu btw is p4 cedar mill 3.0 65 nm

i blame the gateway tech support, they told me my cpu wouldnt work with 20 amps or higher...

accualy when i got the psu, it had 2 12 v rails, my mobo has a 24 pin connection needed and 1 4 pin. in the psu there was 1 20 pin, and 2 4 pins
the 20+4 pin went into mobo and the other 4 pin went into near the cpu. does this still mean im in trouble?

rails != wires. If your PSU has multiple 12v rails then you might be fine. If your PSU has two strings of Molex connectors coming out of it that doesn't mean anything.

Look for a sticker on your PSU. If there's one that includes specs on the DC output then list that here.

accualy when i got the psu, it had 2 12 v rails, my mobo has a 24 pin connection needed and 1 4 pin. in the psu there was 1 20 pin, and 2 4 pins
the 20+4 pin went into mobo and the other 4 pin went into near the cpu. does this still mean im in trouble?

I'm assuming you mean the extra plug for a Pentium 4? and yes for that card you need a better PSU although i don't know if Compaq is proprietary on their PSU's like dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom