Program to test how fast my comp is? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2006, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Program to test how fast my comp is?

Is there a program or something I can download that tells me how fast various aspects of my computer is? I am going to try some overclocking and I want to see how much it speeds things up.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

dr hardware, babpco sysmark? I think its wat CGW uses

Old 10-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

AFAK, the gaming benchmarks (aquamark, 3dmark etc)are pretty good for telling you how hot you're system is, as they use graphics, CPU and RAM together. Making those three communicate right is half the battle...

As for other tests, SuperPiMod will give you a good idea of how fast your CPU is, and it's easy to compare results.

Also, go to (CustomPC - a uk Magazine) then the "benchmarks" section and download their tests.

Their description of the tests:

Benchmarking is very important to us, because a product's performance is one of the most important factors in assessing quality. And, without the relevant benchmarking tools, it's impossible for us to judge which hardware deserves your cash. Unfortunately, most third-party benchmarking tools rely on synthetic tests that don't accurately reflect what most PC enthusiasts do on a daily basis. That's why we developed our own Media Benchmarks, which use real applications to carry out the tasks that most of you perform on a regular basis, and we've now updated these to stress even the latest hardware. There are three tests, each of which measure different aspects of a PC's performance. These are also the same benchmarks that we use in the magazine, so you can make a direct comparison between your PC and the kit we review. You can also submit your results to the Custom PC website and compare your PC's performance with that of other readers' PCs.

You can then check their Leaderboard for others with similar specs as you, and how you fare.
Don't ask questions, just click my rep tick. Now.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I use the Prime95 "torture test", to test whether my computer is stable after overclocked. Really good for stressing your computer under full memory and cpu loads.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 *Cooled with Thermaltake Mini-Typhoon* || Intel Quad Core Q6600
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2gb Kingston 667 DDR2 RAM || 4gb Kingston 667Mhz DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte 512mb 8800GTS (683/2150)
250gb Seagate HDD (ATA133) 7200rpm/16mb cache || 750gb SATA2 Seagate HDD
ASUS MW221U 22" Widescreen 2ms.
Logitech Z-5500D 5.1 Speakers
Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty edition

3DMark06 Score = 8524 (1280x1024)
Old 10-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread