Prodigy build log

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
whats up guys,

this is the build log for my new computer.

At this point, its only about 70% done. i didnt have the powersupply i wanted to build this computer with, the one i wanted, the Seasonic X series 650W gold, was on sale on newegg for $89, but it was out of stock, newegg got new stock for it today but jumped the price up to $174 or something like that... not too happy about it... then i was going to get the seasonic 660XP platnum edition powersupply, but just couldnt stomache $180 plus tax and shipping on a power supply. the reason i wanted either one of those power supplies was because they both turn off their fans at idle. So, instead i went with the Seasonic G series 550W gold modular powersupply, it doenst turn its fan off, but ive read that it is pretty quiet...

which brings me to the theme of this computer! ABSOLUTE SILENCE! to the fullest extent of the meaning of the words. since it is a mini itx build, it is going to be sitting on my desk next to me, and i want it to be completely silent, inaudible.

The specs are:

Black Bitfenix Prodigy
Asus P8Z77-I
Intel i5 3570K
Corsair Vengeance 16gigs 1866mhz ram
Samsung 830 series 128gig SSD
EVGA Signature 2 series 680
Seasonic G sereis 550W gold psu
Enzotech saphire Rev A cpu water block
Alphacool 240 60mm thick radiator with 2 corsair SP120 quiet fans in push
Swiftech micro res
MCP355 ( its way too loud, switching to the mcp655 )
3/8" tubing

right now i just took the PSU out of my old computer just to set this up, get windows installed, make sure everything is working properly while i was waiting to decide which PSU i wanted, i just ordered the PSU today.

so here are some pics!

here is the main components...

installed

here is how i first wanted to setup the res>pump but as you can see, the bend was just too tight, couldnt go for that so i relocated the pump the the bottom and called it a today, not as elegant... but oh well.

here is the loop completed, after this i filled it and bled it, didnt take any pics of that, went without a hitch, no leaks or anything. the tubing from the block to the radiator looks like there is a bit of a kink in it, but thats because i heat the tubing up to get it on the barbs easier, once the tubing cooled down that kink went away...

If you wanted inaudible then you should have got a block for the GPU. When it gets warm it's gonna be loud. Those Corsair fans wouldn't have been my first choice for silence either.

the EVGA signature 2 series 680 i have with its non reference style cooler is very quiet. i havent put the 680 in the build yet, i dont trust the 400W psu i have in it right now. if its really all that loud, i will throw a block on my 680. also, water cooling a GPU, as im sure you know, complicates a water loop quiet a bit, if i absolutely had to, i could take the entire loop out of my case right now, if i have the gpu in the loop, i couldnt do that. so if i can id like to avoid cooling the GPU.

i went with the corsair fans for now because i got both for $15 shipped, and right now i have the 7v inline resistor that brings both the corsair fans down to about 1000rpm, if it is too loud, ill get noctuas. but right now, i cant hear anything over the freaking powersupply i have in the case, its has like nine 20mm fans that sound like a freaking jet engine i cant hear crap, its VERY annoying, i cant wait for my seasonic PSU to come in.

as for the case fans, im using the stock fans that came with the case, they undervolt very well, with a inline resistor that brings them down to 7v they are inaudible... very pleased with them.

I keep forgetting you have that Signature 2 with the dual fan structure.
Silence is good, but with cheap fans silence usually means hardly any airflow, especially if you cap them with a resistor.

I actually had this discussion with another member. I don't see how you people can stand absolute silence. I mean, I'm happy my computer is way quieter than it usually is but if this whole place was absolutely silent it would drive me nuts lol. I need at least a little fan noise or it's just creepy.

with the 2 corsair fans i have on the rad with the inline resistor which brings them down to about 1000rpm, my idle temp is 20°, load doesnt break 40°...

and the fans that came with the case that i would consider " cheap fans ", even undervolted, move a satisfying amount of air.

to give you an idea of how much of a silence freak i am:

My favorite painting is the " melted clock " painting ( not sure if thats the name of it, but i digress ), so for christmas my step dad got me the clock from the painting, i have it on the shelf above my desk, the clock has an ever so slight tick to it... so i took the battery out... :p

2013-01-01211541_zps9a765a0d.jpg

Silence is good, but with cheap fans silence usually means hardly any airflow, especially if you cap them with a resistor.

I actually had this discussion with another member. I don't see how you people can stand absolute silence. I mean, I'm happy my computer is way quieter than it usually is but if this whole place was absolutely silent it would drive me nuts lol. I need at least a little fan noise or it's just creepy.

759030.jpg

That right there, plus I know a lot of other people who demand absolute silence.

Back
Top Bottom