Processor VS Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

heXTT

Baseband Member
First of all, this looks like a great site. Lots of help available.

So here's my question:

Since my computer is a dinosaur..

AMD64 4000+
Undisclosed ASUS Mobo
1GB CheapoValuRam
BFG 7900GS OC
SB Live!
WD 200GB IDE HD

I really need to upgrade. Unfortunately I think I'll have to do it a piece at a time. My question, finally, is what would be the biggest performance boost right now?

An Intel Q6600 or an XFX 8800GTX? Obviously I would have to get a new motherboard for the cpu, and what would be a good, well priced board? Would my lame cpu bottleneck the **** out of the 8800, or would I see larger gains with the vga? I'm kind of lost, any help would be appreciated. In the future I'd also like to get a good set of 1GB sticks of RAM, and a SATA HD.

To see the biggest performance increase id say the processor/mobo, i mean you will see frame rate increases in games with a new graphics card but you havent got the processor to kick the 8800 up the ***! so to speak.
Im from uk so ill let someone else give links to sites etc

After doing a little more homework, the eVGA or XFX 8800GT seem to perform about the same as a GTX, and cost half as much. If the single GT wasn't enough I could always go SLI.

But yeah, I figured the CPU/Mobo would be a bigger gain.

Alright, thanks a lot guys.

So it seems like a general agreement that CPU > VGA for my particular needs?

Order of priority.

1. Motherboard
2. Quadcore & RAM
3. New Graphics Card

Purchase 1 & 2 at the same time. Your 7900GS will run great till you got the money for 3. ;)

4. Would be a good Sata2 harddrive.

by the way what is your Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom