processor and video card for my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitodyssey275

Baseband Member
im tryin to decide between the e8400 or the q6600 for my processor and the evga 8800gts or the 8800gtx for my video card. im lookin to be able to run fear combat with no problems and eventually get gears of war and crisis and run them on the highest quality video setting with no lag. anyone have any suggestions between these or have any other recommendations. thanks.

If you're planning on playing pc games mainly (hence the GTX option I suppose), then you would be best to go for the e8400. It runs faster and not many games run on more than 2 cores (with the exception of Supreme Commander) and it's expected to stay that way until 2009 at least. Not sure bout overclockin though on the 2. I think the q6600 has the slight advantage here, but go for the duo.
On the graphics frontier, the GTX is faster but more expensive. The GTS is newer and cheaper but not as fast and may struggle with Crysis on full. Not entirely sure, search google.

well i wanna be able to run crysis on the highest setting cause i like video to be as clear as possible. should i just go for the 8800gtx and the e8400?

Running Crysis on the highest setting and at a high resolution with high framerates is a no go.....you will go broke trying right now.

Just build a good rig that will run everything else well, and let crysis fall where it falls....you will still be able to play crysis, just not in its full glory...but there is no hardware to do that right now.

The GTS512 is definately the better price/performance right now, and is easily within 90% of the performance of the GTX and in some cases actually beats it. As for the cpu, go with the q6600 if you dont plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom