Processor Fan Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernTantalus

Baseband Member
Greetings Tech Community,
I built my first computer from scratch and so far things have been going well, aside from that rather embarassing incident with the upsidedown Molex and a fried harddrive. Being new at this I'm not really sure what you can get away with and what you can't. I recently purchased a Spire CoolWave IIIâ„¢ (SP503B0-1) processor fan. It's "compatible with all P4 Prescott LGA-775 micro-processors." What I have is an E6700 Core 2 Duo. I also have a duct that will be connecting that fan to an 80-mm exhaust fan on the casing as well as a 120-mm intake fan in front and a 120-mm exhaust fan in back. Will using this fan cause my processor to overheat or will it be ok?

Hey ModernTantalus,
Welcome to T.F.!!

I wouldn't say overheat, but it doesn't look like it will do much better, than the stock cooler. You'd be better off with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

The main reason for purchasing this particular cooler was for the blue UV reactivity, although in retrospect I'm not sure you'll be able to see it through the duct anyway. At any rate, the main concern was cosmetic. So long as my processor won't overheat or my system won't lock up I'm happy.

I didn't plan on overclocking at all, but while you're here... I replaced my poor fried Barracuda with an PATA harddrive. When I get a replacement SATA what will I have to do to get the two harddrives to play nice with each other?

Whichever hard drive will be the one with Windows installed, should be set to master. And the other to slave.

Do I do this physically with jumpers or in the BIOS after both are physically installed? Or will my RAID controller take care of it?

The SATA drives usually don't have a jumper. Now assuming the SATA will be the main hard drive, you would have to set it as master, through the BIOS, by setting it as the first boot priority or device. You would set the PATA physically, via jumpers.

Blah... This PATA was an emergency band-aid on my problem. I think I'm going to save my vital files (OK, save game files), on a CD-RW and just reload all my software and drivers onto the SATA drive when it comes in. I didn't want to do that since reinstalling and downloading all that stuff is a royal pain. The nice thing about this motherboard that I'm using is that it's boot priority for SATA devices is built in physically. The boot priority depends on which port you plug into. Thanks for all your help.

Norton Ghost. is your friend. Make an image of your system with everything fresh and clean. Back up all of your documents and other important stuff. Then format when your registry gets cluttered or you have other issues. I format monthly almost. I just like that fresh feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom