Which processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plant

In Runtime
OK, thinking of upgrading tomorrow so input greatly appreciated. Im currently running;

Pentium D 940 - 3200 - running at 3847
2GB OCZ 667 5-5-5-12
XFX 7900 GT - 690/900
Dual seagates in RAID 0
ASUS P5WD2 premium

I mainly use this comp for converting MPG files to DVD's etc, but i do enjoy my high end gaming such as rainbow six vegas and bf 2142. 3Dmark 2006 never goes a miss either, for blaggers rights :) But really im after functional, fast encoding and better gaming. I love to overclock and have really nice air cooling to get the job done.l

Alrighty, so im looking at maybe an E6300, E6400 or an E6600, baring in mind i will be overclocking said processor to its limits, do you think any of the above processors are worth the upgrade from a D 3200 or should i wait a while longer? Danke!

Very much worth, the upgrade. Go for the e6600, if you have the money. If you're on a tight budget, go for the e6300, and overclock away.

cheers guys. I'm not really on a budget, but i always prefer not to buy top rated parts cause of the margin thats added on being the 'best' component. Will a 6600 really decrease my movie encoding times? And on a side note, in my position, would you change my RAM? Would some uprated stuff matter much?

hey bigapple cheers for that, the comparisons really put things into perspective. I'm just wondering whether the £200 upgrade of the processor is worth it in the long run (next year/2years) when new processors come out, or would i be better waiting?

Nope, this processor is worth the upgrade, and will cut in half your movie encoding times, and then some, and will still be fast in the future :)

Go for it! :D

If you like to oc and are on a budget go with e4300, supposedly it's coming out next week and comes stock with a 9x multiplier making it great for ocing.

I've heard good things about the 4300, with the smaller cache and so forth leading to better overclocking. Dont know whether to wait for it and check out the comparisons or go for a 6600 tomorrow, what ya think anthrax? Gonna hit the sheets now, hopefully ill have some more feedback tomorrow when i get up, so i can come to a good decision. night all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom