problems with my budget build....

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
Im going to build a new CoreI7 system in one months time. the first Ive ever buit from my own bare hands:D . The budget is limmited to 820$ and thats not a penny more:(. The lesser the better. I know its a tight budget but thats all I have for now. I plan to upgrade in 6 months time when I have enough money.:happy:

Specs that I have planned (feel free to correct) :

Core I7 920
DX58SO
CM eXtreme series 600W power supply SLI ready
CM 690 Chassie
HDD WD 320GB 7200RPM SATA 2

I already have an OS so don't need it.
I already have a SATA 2 DVD writer so don't need it.
I already have a mouse but do need a cheap USB keyboard.
I already have the monitor. Although I do plan tobuy a new one in 6 months.

now for the problems....

1. Recently Ive heard a roumour that Intel plans to stop the production of the CoreI7 920 and 940 models. I need some one to confirm weather its just a roumour or is it really true?

2. Secondly, Is this MOBO fine for my build? Ive heard about the BIOS problems about the DX58SO so the first thing Im gonna do is upgrade the BIOS:D .I also heard that SOME of the DX58SO boards had another problem. when U put more than one module of RAM the board doesn't post. which brings me to my 3rd problem.

3. I havent decided on the RAM just yet. At first I was going with a 2 Gig 1333MHZ single stick RAM, But then I changed my mind to CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 TRIKIT 3X3G-1600MHZ.
Now I cant decide. I cant take 6Gigs because it will over shoot my budget. Although I do plan to upgrade the RAM after 1-1.5 years.

4. Now comes the vedio Card. I plan On getting the HD 4650 or the 9400 GT or the 7200 GS or the 9500 GT; for these 6 months before upgrading to a GTX 300 series card that are going to be released. But I cant decide which one to take. I know which card is better but I also have to see whats better for my Budget. Also my current monitor can at MAX display 1280x1024 or something like that. BTW I dont plan to SLI ever!!

5. this is the most important. For this perticular build, DO I NEED A CPU COOLER??? or will the stock cooler do it for me?? BTW I wont be OCing much atleast not for a year or two. I do plan to get a CPU cooler after 1 year ie CM HZ600 CPU cooler.

6. the chassie ie CM 690 has many many fan slots. which should I populate first and which ones should I leave for the later Upgrade??

Help is always appreciated:)

I would stay away from the Intel board.

If you wanted a good cheap board I would look at this one:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I do not like the 4 ram slots versus 6 but on a budget what can you do. I would prefer the UD4 or asus p6t.

for ram go for 3x1gb. If you could swing 3x2gb do it.

Stock cooler will be just fine if you do not plan to overclock or only OC a little. It should be good for up to 3.00 ghz.

Intel will be stopping production of the 920, not sure when but do not let that deter you. Great CPU.

For a vid carg generally you will get more bang for your buck with ATI.

hmmm. thank for that quick reply. I Also like the ATI GFX in this case (Im a Nvidia FAN BTW :) ).
Its already killing me going to 3 Gigs can't even think of 6 right now :p

If Intel is stopping production then I better get that CPU fast before it gets more expensive.

From where I come I do not have any option of the Gigabyte series of X58 boards :-(
But I do have there options from ASUS in my budget.
ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE;
ASUS P6T SE;
ASUS P6T.

Although I don't know the diffrence between either of them. At first I DID plan to buy the P6T but then after looking into reveiws my mind drifted towards the DX58SO. The p6T has far too many problems. Not that Intel Does not!! But thats how life is:p........are u sure I should go with the Asus p6t??

my location offers me only ASUS and INTEL MOBOs

NEW PROBLEM.......I recently heard that Intel has released a new 920 stepping ie D0.
how can I know that the processor Im buying is the C0 or the D0 stepping? Is it written somewhere on the box or something? Is there any major diffrence that I should be worried about between the 2 steppings?

And Ive also heard that the new stepping requires a BIOS update before you can use it. But how can I update my new BIOS without a working processor?

Spec code is how you can tell:

slbch = C0
slbej = d0

Hopefully if you are buying a board and cpu together the company is selling a board with a bios update that will run the D0 stepping.

The D0 generally runs higher clocks at lower vcore. This means generally you can get higher overall clock speeds with your cooling than with the C0.

I have a C0 and want a D0 but for non overclocking there is no real difference.

I have the p6t deluxe v2 and love it. I would personally get the asus over the Intel board.

new problem....CANT DECIDE.....

the build specs are almost complete there is just one tiny problem....actually not tiny....rather significant...Ive gotta choose a GFX card and memory modules.

As it is a budget build Ive got 3 options right now:

1x2Gig of RAM=2GB + GTS250 :freak: -------->1333MHZ RAM

3x1Gig of RAM=3GB + Readon HD4650 :rolleyes: or the 9500 GT;) -------->1600MHZ RAM

3x2Gig of RAM=6GB + 7200GS :D------------>1600MHZ RAM

My rig is not a gaming rig. I dont intend to play many games on it and certainly not at high grafix FOR NOW. I plan to upgrade in 1 years time. My monitor resolution will be 1280 by 1024 and I know it SUCKS:p But thats how it is for now. As I said I WILL be upgrading after 1 year or so. I DO intend to do a LOT LOT LOT of vedio editting. Im leaning more towards the 6Gig RAM

Well you want 3 sticks to utilize the triple channel advantage the i7 gets.

Since it is not for gaming I would go the 3x2gb option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom