Problems with installing 4gb's of memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
A friend and I are building our computers and have run into a couple problems, well actually he ran into the problems because my computer is not completed yet. He told me that when you install 4gbs of memory in the computer, you have to change the timings of the memory and if you don't do that nothing will come up on the screen. Is this true? Why would we have to change the timings of the memory in order for our computers to work? If we do have to change the timings, what do we change it to in order to get the best performance?

Also I read somewhere that Windows will only recognize 3gbs of memory, is this also true? If so, is there any way my computer will recognize the full 4gbs of memory?

Thanks

You don't need to do that, is he talking about that some boards read RAM timings wrong andf you need to manually change that

You don't need to do that, is he talking about that some boards read RAM timings wrong andf you need to manually change that

Well he said when he installed 4gbs of memory, his OS wouldn't even start. As soon as he took out 2 gb's it started normally. What could be the issue with that?

Some boards just read things wrong and don't like to work properly off the hop so you have to manually configure them so they will work.

Just had an Asus p5n-e sli that was giving me the same memory problems,Had to take out 3 gigs for it to start up normal and then went in and changed all the setting for voltage and timings.

After setting every thing to specs i popped back in the other 3 gigs and bingo!!! Thing runs perfectly with no hiccups :)

Some boards just read things wrong and don't like to work properly off the hop so you have to manually configure them so they will work.

Just had an Asus p5n-e sli that was giving me the same memory problems,Had to take out 3 gigs for it to start up normal and then went in and changed all the setting for voltage and timings.

After setting every thing to specs i popped back in the other 3 gigs and bingo!!! Thing runs perfectly with no hiccups :)

So does Vista come in different versions like 32 bit and 64 bit versions because I am only seeing one version on their website. Since I have a total of 4gb's of memory in my computer, I want to get vista ultimate. Would this make my computer have 4gb's of usable memory?

Yeah vista comes in both 32 & 64

You will need 64 bit to be able to use all 4 gigs of ram but driver support isn't too great right now for the 64 bit version ;)

yeah ive heard that. are there any specific drives out there that will have problems with 64 bit vista?

Main things like graphics cards or bios updates will be fine, and big brand wireless cards, sata, lan etc should be fine.

Anything with old companies or small name additional cards might have problems.

Also unless its cheaper don't get Ultimate, just get Home Premium and save money, Ultimate is just pretty, but it's always better to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom