Problems with installing 4gb's of memory - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Problems with installing 4gb's of memory

A friend and I are building our computers and have run into a couple problems, well actually he ran into the problems because my computer is not completed yet. He told me that when you install 4gbs of memory in the computer, you have to change the timings of the memory and if you don't do that nothing will come up on the screen. Is this true? Why would we have to change the timings of the memory in order for our computers to work? If we do have to change the timings, what do we change it to in order to get the best performance?

Also I read somewhere that Windows will only recognize 3gbs of memory, is this also true? If so, is there any way my computer will recognize the full 4gbs of memory?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Problems with installing 4gb's of memory

64bit OS

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
64bit OS
So if I install 64 bit version of Vista I will be alright? Meaning, I wont have to change the timings and it will read the full 4gb's?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You don't need to do that, is he talking about that some boards read RAM timings wrong andf you need to manually change that
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
You don't need to do that, is he talking about that some boards read RAM timings wrong andf you need to manually change that
Well he said when he installed 4gbs of memory, his OS wouldn't even start. As soon as he took out 2 gb's it started normally. What could be the issue with that?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Some boards just read things wrong and don't like to work properly off the hop so you have to manually configure them so they will work.

Just had an Asus p5n-e sli that was giving me the same memory problems,Had to take out 3 gigs for it to start up normal and then went in and changed all the setting for voltage and timings.

After setting every thing to specs i popped back in the other 3 gigs and bingo!!! Thing runs perfectly with no hiccups
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumway View Post
Some boards just read things wrong and don't like to work properly off the hop so you have to manually configure them so they will work.

Just had an Asus p5n-e sli that was giving me the same memory problems,Had to take out 3 gigs for it to start up normal and then went in and changed all the setting for voltage and timings.

After setting every thing to specs i popped back in the other 3 gigs and bingo!!! Thing runs perfectly with no hiccups
So does Vista come in different versions like 32 bit and 64 bit versions because I am only seeing one version on their website. Since I have a total of 4gb's of memory in my computer, I want to get vista ultimate. Would this make my computer have 4gb's of usable memory?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah vista comes in both 32 & 64

You will need 64 bit to be able to use all 4 gigs of ram but driver support isn't too great right now for the 64 bit version
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumway View Post
Yeah vista comes in both 32 & 64

You will need 64 bit to be able to use all 4 gigs of ram but driver support isn't too great right now for the 64 bit version
yeah ive heard that. are there any specific drives out there that will have problems with 64 bit vista?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

Main things like graphics cards or bios updates will be fine, and big brand wireless cards, sata, lan etc should be fine.

Anything with old companies or small name additional cards might have problems.

Also unless its cheaper don't get Ultimate, just get Home Premium and save money, Ultimate is just pretty, but it's always better to save money.