Problem with new build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Problem with new build

I'm building a computer and am having a bit of trouble at the moment. I have everything hooked up correctly but my video card doesn't seem to be getting power. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DSL3, my power supply is an OCZ Stealth Xtreme, and my video card is an HD 4830. My computer starts up (though I see nothing on my monitor) but my video card does not. The fan moves a tiny amount when turning the computer off, but other than that, nothing.

And if we fall, we all fall, and we fall alone
Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer
Default Re: Problem with new build

You made sure it's firmly in the pci-e slot and that you plugged the power cable into it, correct? Does the computer POST? Do you have another graphics card you can use to test? Maybe the card came DOA.

||Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHz (OC coming soon) || Biostar TP45HP || 4GB Kingston DDR2 667 RAM ||
Sapphire HD 4670 512mb @778/1140 || Antec Trio 650w || Maxtor 250gb 7200 RPM HDD || Lite-On DVD-RW || Black Aluminum Case||
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, the cable is plugged in. I tried connecting one of the 6-pin PSU cables to it and later removed it, and used the 6-pin cable that came with it. Also, I have no idea if my computer POSTs or not, I was hoping I could work around that for now. my motherboard has no speaker and my previous case's speaker is almost impossible to get to.
And if we fall, we all fall, and we fall alone
Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

Disconnect everything except one stick of RAM, the CPU, and the GPU, and power cables going to the mobo/gpu, then reset your CMOS/Bios settings and RESEAT the gpu, try to power her on. If she starts up and shows video, turn her off and add another part, if it doesnt start up.... Try a different PCIe gpu.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dead gpu fan is a possibility and hard to detect try it on a motherboard header and see what happens it normally a little brown cable going back into the card from the fan. You don't need the gpu to be in the pci-ex slot to test the fan by directly on a motherboard header fortunate as the cable is only an inch or two long usually. If the fan doesn't budget after trying that then rma it.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

yeah thats a good idea, only problem is if hes got a 2 pin gpu fan, in which case you could connect it up to a 12v battery source using some stripped wires and a 12v battery.

<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito

Closed Thread