Problem with frame rates in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyC

Solid State Member
Hello,
So about half my computers use is geared towards playing games and for some reason in the last week the frame rates have seemed to drop dramatically. I have installed no programs and all the hardware seems to be fine.
Today I got fed up with 5fps in games and formatted everything and installed latest graphics drivers.
This did not fix the problem.... I have all my graphics option down to the LOWEST and still get crap. between 5fps and 15 most of the time.

I have a home made system

Windows XP home edition
ASUS P5N-D Mainboard
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.80GHz, 2.50 GB of RAM
NVidea GeForce 8500GT PCI Express

A while ago I tryed to go from 2GB of ram to 4GB but it capped out at 2.5 for some reason

I have never been able to run game that well but never this bad.
So... does anyone have any suggestions on how to get better fps or if not maybe just a good suggestion for what new hardware I might need to get a large performance boost.
Perhaps I should just get a new system..... seems kinda drastic but...
Thanks for any help

If you have formatted everything then it could be a hardware related issue. It is still possible that its something else. Update all drivers. Sound drivers can sometimes create huge conflicts and have results like this.

There is one thing it might be, take the video card out, and re-set it into the motherboard and make sure its firmly in place. Sometimes (although rarely) videocards can be knocked out of place slightly and the connection and bandwith goes to ****.

If you dont have a 64bit OS then you will not be able to use 4GBs of ram. Depending on how much the rest of the system uses, a 32 bit OS will only "see" ~2.5 - 3.2GB.

You PC is looking pretty old though, it may be that some of the hardware is just at the end of its life, some of the capasitors may be shot. If that is the case you would probably want to look at a complety new system as its not really worth upgrading.

get a better gfx card, that 8500GT is horrid. i know because i used to have one paired with a pentium D 940. first upgrade the card. then get a better CPU.

Hello,
So about half my computers use is geared towards playing games and for some reason in the last week the frame rates have seemed to drop dramatically. I have installed no programs and all the hardware seems to be fine.
Today I got fed up with 5fps in games and formatted everything and installed latest graphics drivers.
This did not fix the problem.... I have all my graphics option down to the LOWEST and still get crap. between 5fps and 15 most of the time.

I have a home made system

Windows XP home edition
ASUS P5N-D Mainboard
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.80GHz, 2.50 GB of RAM
NVidea GeForce 8500GT PCI Express

A while ago I tryed to go from 2GB of ram to 4GB but it capped out at 2.5 for some reason

I have never been able to run game that well but never this bad.
So... does anyone have any suggestions on how to get better fps or if not maybe just a good suggestion for what new hardware I might need to get a large performance boost.
Perhaps I should just get a new system..... seems kinda drastic but...
Thanks for any help

Why are you running a pentium D and an 8500GT on an Asus P5? Give that mobo proper components!

The memory thing is most likely due to you running a 32bit operating system. If you want all 4 gigs to be used then install either 64bit XP or 64bit Vista. I recommend going the Vista route as 64bit XP has some serious compatibility issues and almost everything works with 64bit Vista.

If you replace that Pentium D with a proper Core 2 like one of these, and that 8500GT with this. Then you will be in good shape.

Thanks for the input... I started of with upgrading the gfx card and went with the
ATI Radeon HD 4670 PCI Express and already am seeing better fps... Well slightly better fps but running MUCH higher settings
I can see all my ram in the bios so yeah i think i need to go with vista 64... that will probably be tonight's project.
Ill keep updating thx for the help.

mmmm got kinda a new problem... ever sense I formatted im hearing a high pitched sound coming from inside the tower... cant pinpoint it..
I hear the sound when I scroll over something or click something or just randomly sometimes... it kinda annoying

Can you be more descriptive. It may be a fan. Often times when you do work inside the case you can move something around and it can get caught in a fan. That can be annoying. Other possibilities are the hard drive or cd drive.

i went inside the case and sprayed everything with air moved all the wires around and still got the sound.... I could not identify exactly where it is coming from it sounds like power supply or CPU area. Its odd though how it makes sound whenever I click on something or move my cursor over a button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom