Pricing shake-down: effect of Conroe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
With all the discussion in the forums about Conroe vs AMD, benchmarks, gaming, etc. I haven't seen as much about price, supply and demand. If anyone has some info or speculation, please inform.

My situation: I have an Athlon XP 2000+ palomino that runs hot but hums along okay on Windows XP. With the coming of Windows Vista and future multimeida task (we're having twins in Nov.), I think it'll be sometime this year we upgrade our PC. Conroe sounds great, but I'm thinking there must be a lot of great CPU's that will be left behind for cheap.

My question:
If the top & mid-level Conroe's (X6800 and X6700) can beat a $1K AMD-FX62, what does that do to all the processors' prices now?
pcm05-cpu.png

In theory, excluding supply problems and buyer ignorance/loyalty, if the two top CPUs are priced at $530 and $1K, all other CPUs should be smooshed inbetween $1 and $530, right?

I think we're gonna see some crazy sales at Newegg. It looks like consumers win big with this, but I feel for the suppliers that have a supply of expensive CPUs if they get stuck eating the markdown.

holy geezies...$159 for a 3800X2...

X2 3800 is like all u really need... unless ur like a video editor or w.e. and stuff

Something just isn't right. If a X2 3800 goes for anywhere around $150, what's going to happen to the massive supply of Celerons, Semprons, other budget CPUs?

Nobody should be buying them! The price/performance sweet spot looks good for a X2 3800, a lot better I imagine than a weaker budget one.

Although, I think I already know the answer to my question. I expect to see stores like bestbuy, staples, etc selling their antiquated models and systems at a discount to lure unknowing buyers (like my parents) to purchase something like a Celeron based system. I expect some crazy sales will be going on this holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom