preparing to build, lots of ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtep81

Baseband Member
I'm getting ready to start my new build (I've done 1 before with a friend's help, a used P4 2.0ghz with onboard graphics) and am going to take a large step forward. I have been researching here and on other sites and have a preliminary list of what I think I want. Any suggestions are welcome and will be thoroughly considered. Thanks in advance for all expertise given. I currently am a light gamer (world of warcraft mainly), but am planning on going back to school for engineering and want something that will handle both easily. My budget is $2500 max, but would love to spend less than that. I will be purchasing everything new. I have already ordered a keyboard, mouse, and headset to use on this pc until I build the new one then I'll get new for this pc. Here is what I have found on newegg:

ASUS VW 224U BLACK 22" WIDESCREEN LCD
I7 920 PROCESSOR
ASUS P6T DELUXE MOBO
CORSAIR XMS3 3X2GB TRIPLE HANNEL RAM
EVGA 896-P3-1255-A1 GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit
WD CAVIAR BLACK 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
2 X LG SUPER MULTI BLU-RAY DISC BURNER & HD-DVD ROM
ROSEWILL RX850-S-B 80PLUS CERTIFIED SLI CROSSFIRE READY
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 CASE

I tentatively have COOLER MASTER V8 CPU COOLER, but am thinking about liquid cooling so I can delve into some overclocking.

Also have XP Pro SP2C 64-BIT os written down for it but am wondering if i should get vista (heard nothing but bad about it before this forum)?

TOTAL: $2300

The reason for this thread is to determine if I should settle for a c2d or c2q and a lesser graphics card or just go all out now so I can basically future proof myself for at least 4 years. Not afraid to add another hd or graphics card if necessary. Thanks again

why 2 blu-ray drives? and would it really be worth it? I mean..blu-ray $100 drive at 22" not even 1080p is kind of a waste.

the PSU is to much...especially if it's over $150 (i don't know price). get the corsair 750xt or PC power & cooling 750watt

besides that, it's some good choices

I have started looking into some 1080p monitors, but that was the first one I found. I'll look into the smaller psu, but if I sli my graphics card, would i need more power. As for the dual blu-ray, I was thinking the same thing, but my wife (please keep laughs to yourself) thought we could use two. I was thinking of getting a blu-ray player for the second drive in case I wanted to make my own copies of movies I own. Just for personal use, not pirating. I was also thinking of getting a plain dvd player for the second drive.

just found Newegg.com - COOLMAX RM-750B 750W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies is it good enough

HAF 932 is a good case :) You'd think it would get dusty having no air filters, but in two months of using it I can't see any dust inside at all, probably because the dust never has a chance to settle.

I'd also recommend Corsair 750TX, I got that since it'll be able to SLI 2x260s easily, if you're unsure then try the 850TX.

i'm also looking at other monitors. I thought 1080p was the best but i see some monitors with resolution up to 1200. which is actually better?

i'm also looking at other monitors. I thought 1080p was the best but i see some monitors with resolution up to 1200. which is actually better?

The 1200p ones, since the max res is higher. I'm saving up for a Samsung T240, it's 24" and 1920x1200, AFAIK very good-quality.

Btw right now I believe that the 'best' monitors are about 30" and can do up to about 2560x1680 O_O

last ? before i let you guys do you thing, is it worth the money to get a gtx 295 now to "future proof" my pc or should the 260 be enough and if so should i go with the 896mb version or pay for the 1tb? thanks

i saw the 30" on newegg, but $1000 for a monitor is too much right now. maybe in few months when i get my bonus, then the one i do choose now will go on the old pc or i'll do dual monitors

The GTX260 is still a monster card and will probably be able to able to play everything at decent levels for the next couple years or so, it's very future-proof. And if you ever need a boost in the graphics area, you can always get another and do SLI, which in that case is exactly (roughly) the same as a GTX295.

I didn't know there were any 1GB versions of the 260, and 896MB is plenty IMO :)

The difference between 1080p and 1200p isn't really much.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I've seen both, And saw no difference.
Other then...Resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom