Preparing to assemble new system; comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralith

Solid State Member
I'm about to order the parts for a new machine, and am interested in seeing if anybody has any suggestions on my current partslist; I'm not the most up to date on hardware, so I may well have something stupid planned:
Burn-everything optical drive
BFG GeForce 7600GT OC 256
2x512MB OCZ DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) @ 4-4-4-8 (Not very experienced with RAM, comments on this would be great)
Athlon 64 3800+ AM2
ABIT KN9 SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard (anyone know much about ABIT?)
Aspire X-Navigator
SUNON 120mm fan
Current total: ~$682, ~$652 after $30 total of mail in rebates

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Change the jaton 7600 GT to an eVGA 7600 GT:)

Good choice on the cpu :)

change the ram to either OCZ, G.SKILL, Crucial, Patriot or maybe corsair.

Card changed as suggested.
Ram changed as suggested, up two notches in bandwidth, down two in CAS, and cheaper. Is that acceptable?

edit: also, someone's suggesting I go with a Radeon x850xtpe instead. I've had bad experiences with ATi in the past, and am going to be dual booting with Linux so good opengl support is appreciated, but the thing's supposed to be much more powerful, and cheaper to boot. Thoughts?

then, u might want to look at the Aspire Naxigator case as well

however, an aftermarket PSU will save many pain-in-the-arses down the road

Thanks for the pointer on the case! Cheaper, and looks better suited to my needs. Love the 3.5" bays.

I've never had issues with PSUs that come with good cases, and I'm going overbudget as it is on this. If it becomes a problem down the road, I'm willing to replace it.

Ralith said:
Thanks for the pointer on the case! Cheaper, and looks better suited to my needs. Love the 3.5" bays.

I've never had issues with PSUs that come with good cases, and I'm going overbudget as it is on this. If it becomes a problem down the road, I'm willing to replace it.

Tell me how the case works out. My friend wants to get it, but he isn't 100% sure

Sure; it's pretty decided that I'm going with it. Having a full tower for once will be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom