Preparatory Upgrades for Diablo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk13

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

So as most of you probably know, Diablo 3 beta is around the corner, and Diablo 3 itself is just around a couple of other corners. That said, I built my computer back around 2007-2008 (thinking more 2008) and am considering some upgrades to the beast. During the next few weeks I'm going to put some money aside every pay cheque to fund some new parts. :)

Keep in mind I've been out of the computer hardware loop for a couple of years and need to be re-educated!

My current rig:

Mobo: Gigabyte eP45-DS3L socket 775
CPU: Q6600 2.4Ghz (stock speeds)
RAM: 4x1gb OCZ Dual Channel RAM (1066mhz I *think*)
GPU: ATI HD4850 512mb
HDD: 2x 1tb Seagate SATA drives (going to set them up as RAID 0)
HDD2: 500gb seagate SATA drive for backups.

I don't really have a price limit, but I suppose if I had to put one it would be around the $400 mark.

edit: Forgot to mention I have a Corsair 450 watt power supply. It's not much, but I haven't had any problems at all with it.

If I were to upgrade, I would start with the gpu, everything else actually looks pretty good still.

Maybe OC your cpu alittle....you may need another cooler for that.

Everyone thank Blizzard for not releasing system requirements (thank you Blizzard).

Blizzard likes making their games as easy on your system as possible, that way they can sell to more people, so I guess thats a plus.
Your computer as it stands now meets/exceeds SC2 recommended system requirements, and I wouldn't expect D3 to skyrocket over those, if much higher at all.

Honestly, I'd start saving with no specific upgrade in mind. Pull what you want/can out of each paycheck and put it aside. By the time D3 launches you'll be able to see how your system stacks up, and upgrade accordingly. Or, you might be pleasantly surprised that your comp runs it fine, and have $ for a new Tv or something.

I already use a 42" 1080p LCD as a monitor :). I suppose a video card could help my situation. I was thinking of maybe getting a crossfire motherboard and another 4850 or 2 newer ones. Thoughts?

Personally, I'm from the school of "buy the best GPU you can, crossfire later if need be"
$400 now puts you in the Nvidia GTX 570 or AMD HD6970 range (both better than 2x 4850s).
Lets say Blizzard drops D3 around Christmas, since thats their MO.
$400 in 3-4 months will probably get you in the GTX 580 or new AMD range (whatever that may be).

I'd say save and wait, you never know what new stuff will come out and how it will effect prices.
A new CPU/MB/RAM/PSU and a GTX 5xx or HD 6xxx should be manageable for $400 in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom