Preliminary build - need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
So, I've decided to get into the computer building game. I don't see myself having enough money for anything until this coming summer, so I'm hoping part prices will come down by then (or new/better parts will come out). Anyway, here is my preliminary build, please tell me what you think and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Although this build is over, I am aiming for a >$1000 system (OS and Monitor included).

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850
PSU: CORSAIR 750W (overkill?)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640GB
Monitor: Acer 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD
DVD Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

Let me know if I've got parts that could be replaced with cheaper ones with no reduction in performance, thanks a lot guys.

-EDIT - cleaned up the HTML as soon as I could!

That looks good. You could get by with a lower wattage PSU if you wanted to save a few. So, you aren't building until summer? By then these parts will likely be much cheaper or maybe even discontinued (depending on the market and the vendor).

I've heard something about processor prices going down around July each year, any truth to this matter? If so, then the i7 should be that much closer to being within my reach heh.

Also, will I need a processor cooler? I haven't really read anything about them being absolutely necessary, or when they are.

If you don't plan on overclocking then I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason aftermarket coolers are necessary is to keep the temps down when adding more voltage to a chip so it has a stable overclock.

As far as i7's being cheaper by July...don't count on it. They will have a new batch of i7's by then that will still be at a premium price. You might get a 920 or one of the current chips for a little cheaper, but nothing close to the price you currently have spec'd.

Well, I'll definitely be overclocking...I'd like to get the Q6600 to 3.2 if I could...would I need a cooler for that?

Also...what about the Ram I've picked out - are the timings good?

Case - will the case I've listed provide sufficient air flow?

Mobo - can I do any better in that price range?

And if anyone knows about a better deal for a monitor I'm all for it!

I would change the cpu to a E8500, it's faster than the q6600 and is a incredible overclocker.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I would also change the motherboard to a Biostar TP45HP, it's cheaper and is still a excellent motherboard.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Since you plan on overcloking I recommend getting a Sunbeam Core Contact cpu cooler. It is one of the best air coolers and comes with the best thermal paste so you won't need to get any extra.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The ram you picked timings aren't the best for ddr2 800, these pi blacks are better.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The Centurion 5 is a good case. Another option in a similar price range is the Antec 300. For the 300 I recommend adding 2 additional 120mm front fans for the best airflow. You really can't go wrong with either case.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
+
2x Newegg.com - Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Well I'm definitely going Quad-Core, no amount of present-day benchmarks or clock timings are going to dissuade me from what I know to be a good investment haha. Is there a similarly-priced Quad core proc that outperforms the Q6600? It has been discontinued already, has it not?

Also, if I just stick with the Q6600 and want to OC to 3.2, will I need a CPU cooler? I've heard that's the trickiest part to install (not really an excuse to not get one, but whatever).

And from your post, it looks like if I stay with the Centurion case I won't need to pick up any extra fans? Sounds good to me!

Thanks for the input!

Get the Q9300 then its much faster then the Q6600 and overclocks better you should expect 3.6-3.8ghz on air that is only possible with watercooling on the Q6600 and the 9300 is faster and cooler from stock due to having more recent technology in it.

The antec 300 doesn't require extra fans to cool effectively

Yeh i agree with saltynay, get a q9300. The q6600s are getting old now, and you may even struggle getting 3.2GHz stable on one because the newer ones dont overclock as well.

If your overclocking at all i would suggets a cooler - they arent that hard to install normally.

Ok sounds good, the Q9300 is a tad bit more than the Q6600, but looks like the extra $50 is worth it. Hopefully the price will come down by next July as well. So, looks like I have a pretty solid preliminary build going here, here's the URL to my finalized wishlist, let me know if you guys see any conflicts/sub-efficient parts.

New Computer Build (Let me know if this doesn't work for you)

Also, with the CPU cooler...what's with this 'paste' I keep hearing about? That sounds pretty hand-on heh. Is it pretty much just like gluing the little ******* onto the CPU chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom