Preliminary build - need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.
The antec 300 doesn't require extra fans to cool effectively

True, I should have been more clear about that. The 300 doesn't need the extra fans but I think it's worth the additional cost to add them since with the extra fans the 300 has just about the best airflow you can get on any case in its price range.

Thermal paste goes between your cpu cooler and the top of your cpu to ensure good contact. Just put a dot the size of a grain of rice in the center of the cpu and the pressure for the cooler being installed will spread it out.

The newegg link doesn't work.

Well, I don't know how to fix it (or if I can, being that the wish list is on my NewEgg account).

But anyways, the revised build is the same as the original post except for the ram being changed to the G-Skill Black as suggested, the mobo swapped for the Biostar you suggested, the processor swapped for the Q9300, and the addition of the Sunbeam CPU cooler.

All told I'm running about $1,144, which is more than I'd like to spend but I'm still banking on prices coming down over the next six months.

And does the thermal paste come with the CPU cooler?

I'm running on the 4 gb set (2x2gb) OCZ SLI PC 6400, I remember i was $105 then a $20 MIR, now I know the same set costs $54 with a $25 MIR so that's $25 for 4 GB of rock solid reliable ram

Well, I don't know how to fix it (or if I can, being that the wish list is on my NewEgg account).

But anyways, the revised build is the same as the original post except for the ram being changed to the G-Skill Black as suggested, the mobo swapped for the Biostar you suggested, the processor swapped for the Q9300, and the addition of the Sunbeam CPU cooler.

All told I'm running about $1,144, which is more than I'd like to spend but I'm still banking on prices coming down over the next six months.

And does the thermal paste come with the CPU cooler?

Seriously mate, alot will change in 6 months - if thats when you plan to build.

Its fine to get an idea of what you want, which it seems is what your doing. But by that time not just prices will change, but we will probably be recommending a different mobo, newer gpu, and different ram. Ram for example is quite a volitile market, it goes up an down in price depending on supply.

Just be aware the recommended build will probably change too.

I'm actually happy that I won't be buying for six months or so, even though I'd love to have my gaming rig right now of course. This will allow me to pretty much become an expert in the area just from following up on the latest tech and what not/'practice' building friends and relative's PCs.

Hopefully in the summer I'll be able to squeeze even more performance out of the same price range, which I'm betting will be entirely possible.

You'll get much better performance out of your budget within 6 months. So its not really a disadvantage to do research ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom