Predictions: AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
Yes, I have used AMD processors for a few years now. No, I am not a fanboy. When I got the Athlon X2 6000, it was because of price. Intel kicks AMDs butt right now.

With that said, I see a glimmer of hope for AMD. My prediction is that AMD will turn it around, at least in sales. Will they compete with Intel for the top-dog processor? Probably not anytime soon.

But I think in 1-2 years AMD will own the low to mid range sales. I believe we will even see some of this starting with Phenom. Two reasons:

1. Cost
2. Compatability

Good example is the announcement of the QX9770. Yeah, it is a beast. A $1500 beast. Did you just buy a new X38 board? Oh, you will probably have to throw that in the garbage.

While you are spending your thousands of dollars on the best intel stuff, I am going to be playing Crysis on the 'ole dual core AMD. Have fun.

*EDIT* Also, in a year or two WHEN the Athlon X2 6000 isn't good enough anymore I will slap the new AM2+ or AM3 processor in and continue the fun. I was thinking about moving to intel for the next build, but I don't see that happening now.

The whole future upgradability thing changes all the time though. My amd setup isn't that old but since its 939 I'm screwed. And on the Intel side people with P4s using 775 boards were able to upgrade to c2d when those came out. And you can say the same thing now. Anyone using a nice little e6600 (equilvent to your cpu) could very likely upgrade to a newer Intel when they need a bit more juice.

Also Intel releasing a $1500 chip in no way proves AMD dominence in the low - mid range.

The way I see it...
Intel - Will control the high end market for a bit longer and will fight it out with Amd for the lower and mid markets. Eventually Amd will be ontop again but Intel does have the resources to keep it this way for a long time if they want to.

The whole future upgradability thing changes all the time though. My amd setup isn't that old but since its 939 I'm screwed. And on the Intel side people with P4s using 775 boards were able to upgrade to c2d when those came out. And you can say the same thing now. Anyone using a nice little e6600 (equilvent to your cpu) could very likely upgrade to a newer Intel when they need a bit more juice.

Also Intel releasing a $1500 chip in no way proves AMD dominence in the low - mid range.

The way I see it...
Intel - Will control the high end market for a bit longer and will fight it out with Amd for the lower and mid markets. Eventually Amd will be ontop again but Intel does have the resources to keep it this way for a long time if they want to.

I also had a 939 board before this one. AMD isn't making that mistake again. Meanwhile, Intel is making the best processors (and one step ahead of AMD at that) but they are going down a path they don't want to take IMO.

You are right about the $1500 chip. What I was pointing out is they are realeasing the chip for a board that doesn't even exist yet.

One other thing....

A lot of my reasoning for this comes from threads on these boards. In the threads discussing the release of the Phenom and how "crappy" it is, many people say they are going to buy Phenoms in that thread. Why?

That is they main question. WHY are people going with AMD when it is inferior to Intel. I believe it is due to cost and compatibility like I said earlier, and I believe that gap is going to widen even more in the next couple of years.

Intel will be the elite chip for a long time though, they are still about 6 months to a year ahead technology wise. But if everything had to do with technology, AMD would have been knocked out in 2007. Yet I put their chip in my computer this year and am very pleased with my rig.

I'll always go for what's better, be it Intel or AMD.

Right now, in high budget, or low, I'd go Intel.

E2160 or E2180 overclocked will beat anything in it's price class (and plenty of stuff above it).

... and right now the Q6600 makes a great quad core for the enthusiast.

Intel makes quality processors. They last long, can be overclocked, and can take a beating and still keep on kicking. Intel definitely delivers more than what is expected, and because of this, I buy their product.

AMD is losing tons of money. With they delay of their new processors, they'll probably lose plenty more. In my opinion, the quality of AMD processors is also lower than Intel's. They need to come up with something good, or Intel will continue to rise above them even more.

I don't disagree with a word you said aetherh4cker.

And like you said, "right now".

Right now I would go with the Q6600 if I wanted performance RIGHT NOW.

But right now, my computer handles anything that I have thrown at it. When it doesn't, I will take out my 6000 and put the newest AMD chip in it. I like having that piece of mind now after having to dump mobo, cpu, and ram when I had the 939.

We should be rooting for AMD though. Only good things come from strong competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom