Prebuilt---impressions? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Prebuilt---impressions?

I've been out of the PC game so long that I'm sure I need a new everything.

I refuse to build one myself so I've been looking at pre builts.

Could anyone provide impressions on the below as a gaming PC? Is this a good value? If I bought this should I upgrade something immediately? I'd like this build to be able to play Evolve if possible.

Intel Core i7-4765T
8GB memory
2TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics (modified GeForce 860M)

[Dell Alienware Alpha Signature Edition Gaming Desktop, $799]

Thanks!

Sent from my blast processing t-781.afd Doritto chip from outer space.

Sweet!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lastplace09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Prebuilt---impressions?

Just curious but... why do you refuse to build one yourself?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Just curious but... why do you refuse to build one yourself?

The last one I built was a horror show. I realized that I was behind the times on what parts go with what.

I had the worst time getting the video card to work. I also ended up with some parts I had to return because they were broken upon arrival.

I promised myself I wouldn't put myself through the headache ever again.

Sent from my blast processing t-781.afd Doritto chip from outer space.
Sweet!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lastplace09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

If you don't want to build yourself... NCIXUS will assemble the build for your and get it running (for an extra $60), and then ship the system out to you with whatever parts you order from them. Would still give you a better value than you'll get compared to buying a prebuilt (especially an Alienware system).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Modified GTX860M in a desktop???? The GTX860M is a laptop graphics card, That system looks like there clearing out all there extra hardware and call it a desktop. If you can't build it I would go with Carnage suggestion and have NCIEXUS put it together for you.

Dauntae

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Hell- If I and my kids can build gaming PC's - you can!! How long ago did you try? Were there the videos out there showing step by step instructions back then like there are now? Did you order after having the guys like Carnage and PP help you pick out parts? Did you order parts from a reputable place like Newegg?
acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

The hardest part about PC building is part picking. If you're going in blind you have literally no idea what goes where, who mates to who, exactly what you need to make a PC run, and then finally what's a better deal for your money on parts.

That's why I make it a point to link exactly everything somebody needs to build their PC and give them the best hardware for the price towards their specific usage scenario. It makes it 10x easier going into this blind because the easy part is putting it together. There are a ton of videos out there and IF you don't think you can manage that NCIX will build it for a fee and send you the boxes too. At that point, it's literally a pre-built except you know exactly what's going in your machine and that you got the best hardware for your money.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, plus Alienware is just a Dell in disguise lol And personally, I don't like Dell. Honestly I'm not a big fan of any brand name company for Desktop machines. It also sounds like you at least built a machine before. I'm guessing you were successful because you did not specify that you weren't, unless that goes along with it was a horror show?

Anyway, I bet 100% that if you just did a bit of research and bought just parts that you can easily put it together. It helps to get a nice custom case as well. Although my friend had an extra PC and left it running without a case haha, but do not do that because that will be risking it all. He only did it because it was extra, and it was for the purpose of being lazy lol.
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | Cooling: Just Fans | Motherboard: BioStar Tz68K+ | RAM: Cosair Vengeance16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 560 TI | HDD: 1 TB Western Digital (want SSD for OS) | Sound: On-Board sound | PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W | Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout SGC-2100-KWN3 | OS's: Window 7 Professional x64, Kali Linux 1.0.9 | Display: Dell 24-inch HD, Samsung 24-inch HD
SubliminalX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
The strange one

I would recommend a barebones kit.. you can get fully assembled machines or kits that have parts that you know work together. Takes the guesswork and headache out. Ive build 3 and bought 2 barebones and I bet my next purchase will be barebones because its just that much more convenient. The cost might be slightly higher but I felt like I payed for a convenience. I used to enjoy building PCs, putting parts together, and that sense of accomplishment that comes with completing the build. Recently, however, i have a sense of repitition with building PCs.. it takes time and energy that I would rather spend towards other endeavors. So barebones, for me, it is.

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

There's no point in a barebones when he's on a board where people can tell him exactly what he needs.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote