Pre-purchase qualifying round

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSwig

Beta member
So I have been using a MacBook Pro for about 4 years now and have decided it is time to get back to PC. While I am on a slight budget, my goal is to build a PC with the main priority of being able to play Skyrim and SW:TOR (when they come out) on high to ultra settings. I have been researching for a while now and think I have come up with a solid build, but before I buy anything I would like to get some feedback from people who know better than I. So here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Mobo: Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3
GPU: HIS IceQX Turbo (Radeon HD 6950) - Only 1 for now but was thinking of possibly adding another in crossfire mode if necessary...
RAM: GSkill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Storage: Western Digital 1 TB
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H60

The total so far on newegg is $1152 and I think it is pretty beastly, just wanted some feedback for a solid case that will keep it cool enough and a power supply that will support this thing. Also will it be necessary to get a second GPU to run these games on Ultra settings? What about adding another 8 GB of RAM, its only $60 but is it even necessary now? Another $270 for the second GPU is a lot but the holiday season will be coming soon :)

Welcome to TF.

For a gaming rig, intel is the best right now, especially as hex cores arent fully used.

Whats your budget? maybe can improve your build.

Don't get the h60, its a novolty honestly... an air cooler will do just as good... Unless youre needing space. Then then i guess, but dont expect alot.

Te psu depends on if you xfire... 550 if you dont, 750 if you are.

Edity

You could go this route:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

For bout 10 bucks more.

First off, I suggest going with an i5-2500k or an i7-2600k (Intel) along with an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. The 2500k is all you really need for gaming, but if you plan on lots of multitasking or just a couple larger programs you might consider the 2600k as the hyper-threading does help. 6 cores is really useless when it comes to games, as most of them can only use 4 cores or less.

As for the gpu, I'd recommend a GTX 560 ti. It's a little more expensive, but I just got one and it is amazing. It will have no problem running Skyrim or SW:TOR on highest settings. The one I have plays COD: Black Ops with 90fps on highest settings. I do not recommend crossfire at all, as all it does is add more heat and noise. If you don't have to, stick with just one card. I believe the 6950 can play those games on high settings...if really want that card.

Edit: patonb you must have posted that right after I loaded this page.. :(

Hey! Thanks for the info! Well I went the AMD/Radeon route because I've been lead to believe its just more bang for your buck. I didnt pick that CPU for the 6 cores, mainly cause it is less expensive than the i5, plus if I were to buy an Intel I would feel stupid not to buy the i7-2600k which is almost $100 more...I have read that the 1090T is the best gaming CPU for under $200. I looked at building with Intel and Nvidia and the price ended up being a lot higher. Ill take another look with the i5 I guess, Im not really on a strict budget but I dont want to spend more than $1200-1500 max.

So with the i5 im at over $1000 without a video card and the newest NVidia cards (590 fermi) are running over $400 a piece! the i7 puts me at $1150, is intel/nvidia really worth the extra $$ ??

AnandTech Comparison, the gaps vary, but the i5 2500k beats out the 1090T while using quite a bit less power (games are toward the bottom). You can plug in the 2600k at the top, but honestly its a very minor upgrade gaming wise compared to the 2500k, the extra $100 gets you hyper-threading and better integrated graphics, neither of which impacts gamers with a discrete video card.

Not sure why you're comparing the newest Nvidia card's price to the 6950, the competition would be the GTX560 Ti, not the GTX590.
Just because you use an Intel CPU doesn't mean you have to run an Nvidia GPU, you're more than welcome to use the 6950.
AnandTech 6950 vs GTX560Ti, they are pretty close so go with your gut.

Hey! Thanks for the info! Well I went the AMD/Radeon route because I've been lead to believe its just more bang for your buck. I didnt pick that CPU for the 6 cores, mainly cause it is less expensive than the i5, plus if I were to buy an Intel I would feel stupid not to buy the i7-2600k which is almost $100 more...I have read that the 1090T is the best gaming CPU for under $200. I looked at building with Intel and Nvidia and the price ended up being a lot higher. Ill take another look with the i5 I guess, Im not really on a strict budget but I dont want to spend more than $1200-1500 max.

While AMD is best bang for the buck, you need to figure out exactly what youre doing with it. The 2500k is a freak... By minor changes and no losses, the 2500k will eat a 1090 in gaming.

As Roark said, the 2600k is useless to majority of users, its just cool to have it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom