PPU.... POP or FLOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be a way of combining the PPU and the GPU into one card. At no cost increase from current GPUs till then a
I love how people say things like this so easily, even though you have no idea what goes into making a graphics card at all.

Have you seen the stand alone PPUs? It's a card that requires it's own power and a decent size processor......I'd love to see how they are going to throw that on a graphics card which these days already suck a shitload of power, already get hot as hell and are already getting big as hell......beyond all that you REALLY think that they wouldn't still charge you up the ass for it? They aren't just going to make a graphics card with a great new physics processor and just give it to you like a free gift.

I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be able to buy PPU and Non-PPU included graphics cards for price purposes ASSUMING that they ever did combine the two.

People are of course pissed because it's just one more thing to buy....however, if you have a standalone physics processor, that'll take SOOOO much off your graphics cards and CPU in terms of calculations, that your graphics cards life would probably be extended to some degree.

Nubius I assumed you'd have faith in technology the worst of computers took up entire floor levels not too long ago.

I'm not saying a it's a flop becuase it isn't a great improvment over what we have as thats far from the truth but it is the flop for the increase in price it will bring.

The thing about PPU's is that their in the same situation now, that video cards were in when they first came out.

People figured "Why do I need a video card? the current software rendering looks fine". Folks were skeptical over it and it wasn't untill they saw Quake and Tomb Raider in hardware rendering that it really caught on.

Just give it time, in 5 years, we will all be in disbelief about how we were able to game without a PPU, much like how we are now about software rendering. Don't believe me? Enable software rendering in UT2004 and see how it goes.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
The thing about PPU's is that their in the same situation now, that video cards were in when they first came out.

People figured "Why do I need a video card? the current software rendering looks fine". Folks were skeptical over it and it wasn't untill they saw Quake and Tomb Raider in hardware rendering that it really caught on.

Just give it time, in 5 years, we will all be in disbelief about how we were able to game without a PPU, much like how we are now about software rendering. Don't believe me? Enable software rendering in UT2004 and see how it goes.

Now I have a headache :(

POP! I don't care about money if it is going to make my current hardware last alot longer!

lazer man it wont. graphics card are still the focal point of games it will be. You buy Grpahics first then whatever add on u want.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:

Perfect Explination.
We just cant fathom what systems will need in the future.
This is only the beginning.

efd753 said:
lazer man it wont. graphics card are still the focal point of games it will be. You buy Grpahics first then whatever add on u want.

Yes it will. It will take the physics load of your gpu and cpu and allow your gpu and cpu to put more effort towards graphic rendering.

Not really. There aern't that many physics that the GPU has to control. They're mostly pre-rendered physics. With the PPU there are like a million more random physics processes going on, so it won't affect the GPU TOO much. The GPU doesn't have to CALCULATE Physics, it just has to carry out pre-rendered physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom