Powersupply problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkstrykerz

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded my video card from a Nvidia 7950 GX2 to a EVGA Nvidia 8800 GT Superclock card. I installed it, and realized that my power supply was only 375 Watts Max...

I am now looking at a powersupply to buy (on tigerdirect.ca) and I was wondering if this powersupply would be enough for my new video card:
Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan SATA-Ready SLI Ready Black Power Supply ULT31848 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

The power supply is the Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Black / Power Supply

the required specs for the card are:

# 1GB of system memory
# CD-ROM drive
# 50MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
# Microsoft Windows XP operating system
# PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express x16 slot
# 450W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 30A or more

Much help would be appreciated!

If you only changed the grafix card and kept all the other specs the same, then it should still be able to run the system. The 8800GT is less power hungry than the GX2.

If you only changed the grafix card and kept all the other specs the same, then it should still be able to run the system. The 8800GT is less power hungry than the GX2.

Yeah but I read on the GX2 that it required a min 400 Watt computer, dell was just being cheap when they made my computer...

There are better power supplies, and you don't need 600 Watts.

Refer to the power supply guide linked in SIgnature..

Well I am real noob when it comes to upgrading comps, but what do you think I should specifically go with, this site seems heavy ultra based for power supplies...

Corsair 520HX gets my vote

edit, seen you're ordering from Canada XD here's a link to the cheapest one i found. NCIX stocks it but its like 115 or 125$. tigerdirect is good, i get some parts from there, but they're selection can leave a bit to be desired. Same goes for directcanada but they usually carry different things so it balances out if you check both. NCIX carries almost everything but they're a bit more expensive.

Buy - DirectCanada

My other issue is that its a dell dimension 9200...
I took some pictures to some the configuration.

s2020440ic8.jpg

s2020443di3.jpg

Do you think I'd be able to get that power supply in there?

grm corsair does look a bit longer than that one. but i can't see it Not fitting. I don't think you'd have any problems.
You may want a 2nd Opinion if Ste's around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom