Power surge = Replacement time!

voxaroth

Beta member
Hello,

Last night a transformer blew up the road, and caused a power surge that affected my desktop. It will not turn on (after extensive troubleshooting), though power is being supplied as indicated by several LED's on the mobo that light up when plugged in. Before we get lost in the obvious chatter about my needing a surge-protector, I do have a very good one. How my desktop got unhooked from it is something I've already forgiven my wife for.

Here's my list of questions for you experts:

1) I'll be needing a new CPU, mobo, and memory sticks. I've been an AMD guy all my life because I find them effective and inexpensive. I don't overclock. I keep my Lian-Li case very cool with plenty of air movement. I'm looking for bang for my buck here. If I could get all three for around $350, that would be my goal.

2) Can I salvage my power supply after a power surge, or would it be wise to just get a new one? I have a CORSAIR hx520w modular power supply. I realize that I may need to change it anyways based upon the new stuff from question 1, and if so, what do you recommend?

3) Can I salvage my hard drive if it's not damaged? It was a relatively new addition to my PC, and I barely put a dent in it's storage. One thing I'm not sure about is Windows. Is this something I will need to purchase again even if I can save the drive?

4) My graphics card is getting a bit old, and I've started to notice some artifacts while playing games (nothing major, but there none the less). If I have to replace the power supply, hard drive, AND purchase windows again, I'll probably be stuck with this one for a while longer. If you were to recommend a graphics card for me, which would you suggest? My only requirements are that it has at least one HDMI slot to hook up to my TV, and also support (at least) 2 other monitors. As far as game requirements, the most intensive game I play is Battlefield 3. Again, I don't need top of the line, but I don't want basement bottom either. Something for a casual, married gamer with enough time to get in trouble to enjoy.

The balancing act I face is that I want to build something that will easily last me another 5 years playing the stuff I enjoy now (nothing cutting edge), but at the same time needs to be inexpensive enough that my wife will allow me to justify spending it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom