Power supply y connector splitter good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeaaronc

Baseband Member
Im building a new pc right now and I decided to get 2 case fans and a neon light kit for cheap. Anyways I am wondering if those y connector splitters for the power supply that connect to the hard drive, cd rom etc... are a good idea? I dont want to fry anything. Basically what they do is split 1 connector into two. My power supply only has 4 power connectors and I have 2 hard drives a burner, 2 case fans and a neon light. Im willing to just use one case fan and only use the split cable to run my light and fans so i dont fry my hard drives or cd burner somehow.

Yeah. You can use the "Y-Splitter" for fans & lights. That's probably the best use for them actually. You always want to have unsplit connectors to major components like HDD's, Videocards and Optical Drives. Anything that requires 25watts and up.

I actually used a Y splitter on an optical drive for awhile, but i replaced it cuz it was slipping in and out of the power socket on the drive. It can be done, but its best use is definitly for fans/lights.

Great sig, Havock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom