Power supply sugestion - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514

I'm not doubting you, but could you post some links of these low wattage PSU's powering such a system. If the math is correct I'm sure they can, I'd just like to see it with my own eyes if you know what I mean. I'm confused why Nvidia would post a list of certified PSU's for SLI 8800s if any 400+ watt power supply with high amperage could power them. What gain would Nvidia have in not telling us that some of the lower end PSU's could power the system?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TriEclipse
Have you read the PSU sticky? 273W on a Quad-Core/8800GTX system, at LOAD. I doubt that whatever he has/will be getting will stress that. The 400W Fortron could handle that system, so the 550W Antec TruePowerTrio should have no problem with this one plus upgrades. 54Amps is also enough to handle TWO 8800GTXs.
Its actually 42 amps not 54. Each rail is capable of 18 amps but not altogether.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Console Gamer

the antec 550watt is mroe then enough to power that system and will last you a long *** time.
Red Devil 480 / Corsair R270
Sandisk 960GB SSD / 2x Seagate 8tb, 2x WD 4TB
Old 01-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jumping_Bean514
I'm not doubting you, but could you post some links of these low wattage PSU's powering such a system. If the math is correct I'm sure they can, I'd just like to see it with my own eyes if you know what I mean. I'm confused why Nvidia would post a list of certified PSU's for SLI 8800s if any 400+ watt power supply with high amperage could power them. What gain would Nvidia have in not telling us that some of the lower end PSU's could power the system?
A "Gamer Reputation." Its pure marketing, that much should've been clear. What would they have to lose from recommending that, haha.

And the 400W Fortron is a rarity. You won't find many other PSUs from other companies capable of that kind of power while being labeled such a wattage. Look near the bottom of the PSU sticky, I compare the Fortron 400W to the Hiper 580W, there isn't much difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by turtile
Its actually 42 amps not 54. Each rail is capable of 18 amps but not altogether.
Yes, I know that the final power output is not equal to the sum of all the rails, but I'm curious as to how you arrived at 42 amps. Its there is a technical/mathematical formula to arrive at that, I'd very much like to learn what that is.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So you have no links of computers running SLI'd 8800gtx's off under 600w power supplies?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

No need to be an a$$hat. I don't have to show you anything. If you want to see some of them so bad, then you can just Google for them yourself. Luckily, I already posted one in my PSU sticky; Here you go.

There are close to none of them available, because no one wants to address the issue. You want to know for sure? Try it yourself.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yes, I am a complete ahole for simply asking you to back up with links what you are saying, my bad. I'll try to be more considerate next time.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jumping_Bean514
I am a complete ahole.
I agree.

Don't BS me, you know **** well what the connotation of that post was. You didn't think I had any links, so you thought you'd be bold and make a statement saying that I didn't have any proof, instead of just reminding me to post some links. Alas, I provided you the link to a SLI 8800GTX watercooled system running on a 500W PSU. So respectfully, buzz off, you got what you wanted.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TriEclipse
I agree.

Don't BS me, you know **** well what the connotation of that post was. You didn't think I had any links, so you thought you'd be bold and make a statement saying that I didn't have any proof, instead of just reminding me to post some links. Alas, I provided you the link to a SLI 8800GTX watercooled system running on a 500W PSU. So respectfully, buzz off, you got what you wanted.
When did I make this "statement saying that I didn't have any proof"? I'm sorry your a fool that has to take everything anyone says as an attack on you. I simply asked if you had links or not, how very "bold" of me. For my next trick I'm going to stand my ground in front of a grizzly bear to show it how bold I'm am as well.

You need to lighten up man, you're attitude is why a good number of people on this forum aren't fond of you.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

There is no proof. That test was only for 2 days. Trying running that system for years and you'll find that capacitor aging will slowly degrade the amount of power from the PSU.

Straight off the eXtreme PS Calculator's page:

"Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 25-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years."

So if you like to waste a lot of money on buying PSUs constantly, go a head.

Closed Thread

« raid | Shot down! »