Power Supply Question + Overclocking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievearz

M.C. Etcher
Hey there everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just put together a new build and I am using an old power supply that works decent but is very loud and has very ugly neon green cable wraps. I was looking at a modular power supply so that I could do some wire management in my Antec 900. I'm sure you all know how much of a pain it is to make them look good. I was browsing clubIT and Newegg when I saw this power supply:

Newegg.com - XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX12V 600W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL, CE, FCC, CB - Retail

I've never heard of the brand before so I figured I'd post here to see if it was any good. I absolutely love the way it looks and the rest of my case has blue LEDs and I like the style of the connections to the PSU. Overall the reviews seem pretty good for the PSU.

Little Background on my Rig:
Q6600 (Running at 3.3Ghz)
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
2 Gigs Crucial Ballistix (PC8500)(Trackers, I love the LEDs)
6600GS (Saving for a new card, looking at a 8800GTS 320)
2 SATA Hard drives

Now for the second question:

I've heard that running your FSB and Memory 1:1 is best. So I go into my bios and mess around with the settings. It's perfectly stable at 400mhz(8x Multi) and 800 mhz ram settings (giving me PC6200) but I feel that it's a waste of my RAM by doing this. So I go into my bios and attempt to set it at 533(6x Multi) and 1066 mhz ram (Giving me 1:1 if I'm understanding this correctly). When I do this the system won't POST. Maybe I don't quite understand how this effects my FSB. Are higher multipliers better? Any help would be appreciated as would advice on how to run my computer at 1:1 at 1066 DDR2! :D

when it comes to overclocking.. you should ask b1gapl.. wait for him, he'll post eventually... as for the cabling.. i don't know how to help you..

I set the cpu back to 9x and set the memory to 2.5. This should put your memory up closer to 1000. When you lower the multiplier and raise the fsb like that you are going to cause a lot of undue heat on your northbridge. You dont HAVE to run 1:1 but in some cases it helps, with newer memory and higher multis its just as good to run your memory at 4:5 which is usually what the motherboard will set it at by auto.

Grievearz said:
I've heard that running your FSB and Memory 1:1 is best. So I go into my bios and mess around with the settings. It's perfectly stable at 400mhz(8x Multi) and 800 mhz ram settings (giving me PC6200) but I feel that it's a waste of my RAM by doing this. So I go into my bios and attempt to set it at 533(6x Multi) and 1066 mhz ram (Giving me 1:1 if I'm understanding this correctly). When I do this the system won't POST. Maybe I don't quite understand how this effects my FSB. Are higher multipliers better? Any help would be appreciated as would advice on how to run my computer at 1:1 at 1066 DDR2!

Did you set the memory multiplier to 2.00?...because that will have the RAM run in a 1:1 ratio, with the FSB. And to run the FSB that high, what voltage settings did you set? A higher multiplier will yield a higher CPU frequency, but a lower multiplier will yield a higher FSB, which makes for a faster overall overclock.

Did you set the memory multiplier to 2.00?...because that will have the RAM run in a 1:1 ratio, with the FSB. And to run the FSB that high, what voltage settings did you set? A higher multiplier will yield a higher CPU frequency, but a lower multiplier will yield a higher FSB, which makes for a faster overall overclock.

Yeah I set it to 2.00 but it won't even boot. I left the voltage settings on auto. What should I set my FSB voltage to so that running at 533 x6 will be stable? I haven't really messed around much with my voltage settings because my mobo seems to take care of most of it auto pretty well.

When overclocking, don't have your voltage settings on auto. Auto mode, tends to give more voltage than needed. So try these settings:

FSB: +0.1V
MCH: +0.1V
CPU: Maybe 1.45V
RAM: +0.4V

When overclocking, don't have your voltage settings on auto. Auto mode, tends to give more voltage than needed. So try these settings:

FSB: +0.1V
MCH: +0.1V
CPU: Maybe 1.45V
RAM: +0.4V

Right now I'm running 3.3 on my Q6600 with 1.344. Should I really go up that high on my voltage?

It depends on your temperatures. But it can handle 1.4+v easy. What are your idle and load temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom