Power Supply Question + Overclocking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q6600 (G0) @ 3.3Ghz in a 900 with a ZALMAN CNPS9500 (Paste hasn't fully cured yet)

Right now at idle I'm at (47, 40, 47, 46) *One of my cores is ALWAYS 4-6 degrees colder than the other 3, but it's not always the same one.

At load it can get up to 65~

This seems pretty hot to me and I'm not sure why it's so hot.

Which thermal paste are you using? Another reason it could be running a little warm, is the heatsink you have. The CNPS9500 is sufficient enough, but not really enough for heavy overclocking. But 65C is ok for the G0.

I'm using AS5. I think I may have used too much. I put quite a lot on there and spread it around using an old gift card. I doubt that would account for more than 3-4 degrees. I'm going to attempt your voltage settings now, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Can anyone recommend a good PSU that has connections similar to the ones on the PSU I posted on my OP?

Even with those voltage settings the system is not booting with 533x6 and 2.00 Memory. I watched inside the case and everything but the moving LEDs on the RAM lit up before it restarted.

I've changed it to 400x8 and 2.50 giving me a 4:5 ratio, I guess that's good enough. I still don't quite understand why it's not booting with 533x6.

With the system at 400x8 I'm getting (44, 43, 44, 37) *Now it's core 4 thats undertemp. Any explanation as to why one of my cores is always so much cooler?

-----------

That PSU you recommended is actually less expensive than the one I was looking at. Has anyone even heard of XION before? I prefer the looks of the Xion one but if it's garbage I'll get the one b1gapl recommended.

Side-note - Is there anyway to run tests on a PSU after you buy it to see if it's crap or not?

HIPER is a very good company. Quite a few of us, use the brand. XION is only known for it's cases, but it's line of power supplies, is not to be trusted.

It may be not posting at 533 FSB, because it is very high. Sure the DQ6, is nice overclocker, but you gotta play around some more.

I tried setting manual voltage like those that you recomended and even at low overclocks the system is unstable. I set it back to auto and it's rock solid. Voltages are pretty much exactly the same. The PSU I'm using is pretty old from back before I knew better (It's super cheep). I'm thinking that could be the issue. I'm ordering that new one you recommended once I get my next check.

So the question is could it be just the PSU or should I keep bumping the voltages up?

I believe running the FSB at 533MHz, does require some more voltage. The PSU being cheap, is a factor too.

This was at a much lower FSB: 400 (x8). Even with voltage settings over what you recommended it would crash and was unstable. It wouldn't even boot with 533 FSB. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom