Power Supply Question #2,048,168

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma62

Solid State Member
First, I want to thank everyone here in the community for all the great info you guys have given me. Its truly helped me more than you know. I'm going to be building a budget gaming system (my first build hopefully of many :p) and I'm getting familiar with compatibility and whatnot but one thing I have yet to delve into is power supply's. Here's links to everything I'm going to be using.

GPU: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
MOBO: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
DVD: Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech - CD / DVD Burners
Case: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases

I know my motherboard uses a 24pin power connector, I was just wondering if you guys could help me figure out everything else required by my power supply (Connectors and whatnot). I'm going to shoot for 600W+ so I just basically need to know the connectors I need for the power supply. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance. :)

this 750W is cheaper than the 620:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

for that system you would have no problem using this 550vx, i use it:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

i would drop the extra 30 bucks and get the 750. i wish i would have, because now when i get a second 4870, i will have to buy a new PSU as well. as a matter of fact, i would probably sell you my 550vx for like 80-85 shipped if you want and can wait for me to order and get a new one.

both of the listed PSUs will have all the connectors you need.

Oh ok great. And nagasama i'll definitely think about that, cuz as of right now, cheap is the name of the game for me. I'm already over budget as it is so the cheaper the better. One question I have is, is a 24pin power connector the same thing as a 20+4pin power connector? And also is it OK to use a 6+2 pin pci in a 6 pin pci slot?

question number 1 yes a 24 pin is the same as a 20+4.
question number 2 yes, the two extra pins will be attached to their own molex, so you dont have to use them if you dont need them for your card.
PM me if you want to talk about buying mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom